Setting Extra Attributes for Anoraks

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Actually, typing attrib +r <file> (aliased as "attr" here, even shorter) is quicker than clicking through obscure dialogs just to set something read-only.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

But it only does the RASH attributes - that's useless! (To real anoraks.)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Actually this sounds like a missing feature for the SFK.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Now, you have to respect a CLI poltergeist that has an "sfk merch" command. :D  Not enough of them in the world.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

You can never have enough coffee mugs.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Glad to know my foray into the world of Google Music and eventual (and accidental, but definitely not occidental) discovery of that pesky T flag that was preventing me from writing up-to-date information into an MP3 tag started all sorts of inane insanity.

OK, not really, it was entirely humorous.  But still...

I do like the utility though, K.  Very nicely done.

I suppose one day I'll have to shift from being an Objectivist to an Anorak.  That sounds so much more fun - and enticing.

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

johngalt wrote:...eventual discovery of that pesky T flag that was preventing me from writing up-to-date information into an MP3 tag started all sorts of inane insanity.
Re-reading your original post, you point out that it was Google's rejection of the upload that led to your questioning the state of the attributes - but did the -T- attribute actually prevent you from modifying the contents?  I did some experiments with it, but never ran across that side effect (at least not on any local files).  Curious.  Or was it modifying through the uplink that caused the coughing?  Never even heard of Google Music... as long as it doesn't have any evil vuvuzela's on it, one wouldn't think the attribute would be so quarrelsome.

I just did a little test with Google Docs - I uploaded a -T- infected text file, then downloaded it directly back - it never rejected it, but oddly Google did remove the -T- attribute all by itself without query. :shrug:
johngalt wrote:I suppose one day I'll have to shift from being an Objectivist to an Anorak.  That sounds so much more fun - and enticing.
Considering that Ayn Rand's whole point was the pursuit of (solely) one's own happiness, it would definitely make her spin in her grave to think someone abandoned her philosophy by pursuing it - and finding Anorakean Minutia to be the new fountain of faith. :D
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

It was Google Music refusing to upload and only one particular MP3 tag editor refusing to acknowledge the presence of the file(s) with the T attribute.  I had forgotten that I did get tagging to work in another suite.

The files were MP3 tracks that had gotten moved around quite a bit over the yeras b/c of my penchant desire to keep my physical drives in logical order, as well as keeping my physical files in a logical order as well - this whole "put everything on the same physical drive / partition business with Windows is abhorrent, at least to me.

I now have a dual SSD setup, one for my actual system files and programs, and the second for my user tree.  However, those special folders like Documents, downloads, etc. are all on a mechanical drive, of which I have 2 devoted to such storage.

Re: In reading her works, I think it is more appropriate to say she was against the pursuit of happiness as dictate to another human being to one's self.  But, you're spot on about the methdology I'm employing - using her own methods to actively stop pursuing her philosophy and start pursuing happiness as found in being an Anorak.

or, would it be more apropos to say that I am simply converting to Anorakean Objectivism?  Or, conversely, Objectivist Anorakism?

Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

So why do you use Google Music and not something like Grooveshark in the first place?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

I never before used to try to keep my very large and extensive collection in any sort of cloud b/c of the size itself -I have well over 500 CDs (actual discs I've bought) and almost that number of MP3s I have downloaded legally (such as when Amazon MP3 puts 100 songs for free online).  However, back in the end of 2011 (in the middle of my Masters program, no less) Lightning took out all of my HDs (and partially FUBARd my PSU so that any drive plugged into it in the future would also immediately fry).  I quickly built a new system, but never re-encoded all of my discs, and have only added about 700 files to my current collection - b/c Pandora, and XM Radio fill my needs.

I did this mostly as a test of Google's services since I own strictly Android portable devices.  Yes, GS is available for Android, but I never really explored it b/c of Pandora and then XM.

Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

The happenings around Google Reader's sudden departure should be enough reason to understand why it might - and probably will - have negative consequences to use more than one or two services by one single provider.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

As I said - it was a test, nothing more.  I use Google for email, and have a Drive account for files - but also have a Tresor account, Dropbox account, Box, Skydrive and Sugarsync.  I also have email from Outlook.com and yahoo.  I also have navigation and maps from MapQuest.

I've never relied solely on a single service provider for anything , other than Internet  access (which I don't bundle with anything) and cell phone service (again, not bundled).

It's good advice, though, for those that don't know any better.

And besides, if I had never performed the test, I would never have learned about that pesky T flag and the better attributes column in X2 :P

Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

You do know that Google uses Google Mail to gather data about you?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

You do know that all webmail providers gather data about you, right?

Unless you've been partaking of the purple Koolaid, I suggest you not start  with the Google is evil - no one is going to provide services free of charge without getting some sort of ROI, Investment here being not only the time and money spent developing said services, but also the actual bandwidth itself required to provide those same services to you....

Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

johngalt wrote:You do know that all webmail providers gather data about you, right?
That's why I rely on my own "server" (well, one virtual server, one webspace with a pretty open shell).
johngalt wrote:I suggest you not start  with the Google is evil - no one is going to provide services free of charge without getting some sort of ROI
Tell them! I don't use Google Mail.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de