Painless Custom Toolbars (No Morphine/Tourniquets Required)

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Painless Custom Toolbars (No Morphine/Tourniquets Requir

Post by pj »

Kilmatead wrote:Yeah, it's always the little things that can trip us up. My particular problem was coming from a Comodo Security process that kept interfering - but my personal favourite was that if the user had x2's "Daily hints" thing set to show on startup, even after that hint window was dismissed it was not actually destroyed and thus left a ghost 32770 class associated with the x2 parent window.

I figured that Nikos had done that intentionally just to mess with my head, as I could find no other practical reason behind it.

For public scripts, I try and avoid using window titles as identifiers since they'd be English OS-specific, while _WinWaitChild_32770() is language agnostic. Yes, overkill for a mere script, but robustness 'twas ever was a hard-won maiden. :wink:
So will this fail the same way as LocaleSearch when certain nameless beasts are running at the same time?

Also, does the "32" in the name imply a need for a "64" version, or does this run on x32 and x64 OS's and X2 varieties?

----------------------------
PJ in (darn it's hot :lol: ) FL
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Painless Custom Toolbars (No Morphine/Tourniquets Requir

Post by Kilmatead »

pj wrote:So will this fail the same way as LocaleSearch when certain nameless beasts are running at the same time?
Yes. Modify this source the same as the other, if your errant beasties are stubbornly ungallant. This is the best I can do while remaining linguistically agnostic, which I consider to be the higher calling. And I always follow the higher calling, when given a choice. :wink:
pj wrote:does the "32" in the name imply a need for a "64" version, or does this run on x32 and x64 OS's and X2 varieties?
It runs on anything. The 32 in the name is just a legacy class-name thing that often arises in the Win32API nomenclature (ironically differentiating it from 16-bit, not 64-bit). The contradiction-in-terms notwithstanding, I kept it as a throwback just for fun. :D

For example, if you were to drill-down into the x2 GUI (regardless of bit-type), the "ToolbarWindow32" class is contained within a RebarWindow32 class control, and so on. There actually are no specific API "64"-suffix classes, as that would be redundant, since the only real code-difference is the architecture pointer-size and the availability of 64-bit registers within (and extending) the x86 instruction set.

It's like trying to explain to people that despite appearances the System32 folder (in C:\Windows) really is the one containing 64-bit code, whereas the 32-bit binaries (traditionally called x86) are held under SysWow64. People's eyes tend to glass-over fair quick.

And just in case that sort of thing doesn't get your bitwise blood going, you can confound and amaze your drinking buddies with the Should UTF-16 be Considered Harmful? question. Even though UTF-16 is ubiquitous under Windows, it's not actually the authoritative word on understanding what Unicode compatibility really is, and how programmers might handle it.

Not everything is what it appears to be when it comes to the scary world of WinAPI. :D
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Painless Custom Toolbars (No Morphine/Tourniquets Required)

Post by pj »

Any chance this tool can be extended to copying toolbars between layouts?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Not possible (without lots of penicillin and quantum-gymnastics), sorry. Toolbar contents are all tucked away within x2's binary chastity belt, and messing with alternate-layout registry/INI contents is a recipe for chlamydia, syphilis, and all sorts of un-fun gifts that no knight-errant would ever wish to be granted by his wife whence returning from battle.

Some dark places are best left un-poked and un-prodded, even for the most ardent of suitors. :wink:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Small update to 2.0.4 for compatibility with x2 version 3.4.0.2

(Nikos really shouldn't be allowed to meddle with his own code without parental supervision anymore - he keeps changing things so insignificant that he thinks no one would ever notice, yet these changes always accumulate to upset my precision-balanced toys. Damn his tinkering. :wink:)

Use download-link in the original post above.