xplorer2 HACK : Convert any menu item to a toolbar button !!

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: xplorer2 HACK : Convert any menu item to a toolbar butto

Post by Kilmatead »

These questions are best asked in the appropriate thread (for details customisation) as this thread is only about MenuHack. Nikos is the best person to answer specific questions, since he's the kook who designed the system in the first place. :wink:

In short though, columns are more easily identified just by running the tool mentioned in the blog, as that will produce an accurate list of numerical id's (for your system) by name and number directly, rather than counting anything manually.

I do not know for a fact, but I would surmise that the number postfixed to the CLSID would identify a specific item in a subset provided by that particular shell extension (assuming the extension provides more than 1). But that's a guess.

Start with the normal generated list (above) when experimenting, as that's more straightforward to play with.

nikos says: a clisid represents a bunch or properties, individual items need a numeric index like :4
moorpipe

Re:

Post by moorpipe »

snakebyte wrote:This is a simple command line tool which tells X2 which command to execute. I can't think of any other additions to it.

The only change that I have made was to recompile it with latest the version of AutoIt3. The link in the original post has been updated.

TheMenu_Commands.txt file has not been updated in a while. I think I will update it and also include the version number of  X2 I used to generate it.

You can also get the new missing command IDs from the User Manual that Narayan/Nikos are updating with every X2 release.
Would you like to share with us how you've created the menu_commands.txt file? You already explained to us how you created the hoykeys.txt file :)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

You use a resource editor (such as that of a development IDE) or just use ResourceHacker a well-known, fully-featured, free editor. You use it to open the x2 EXE binary file, and then look at the goo inside, specifically item MENU 128). :wink:

You can have a lot more (semi-officially sanctioned!) fun with ResHacker and x2 within this thread.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

And while I'm at it, I should mention (a little later than planned) that the MenuHack 'C'-Version has been added to the download. The original legacy script is still included in the archive for those who might want to see how it works and are more familiar with scripting than with C, but the programme itself has been rewritten and compiled in C for size/execution benefits. Enjoy.

Link in first post of this thread (or just use this one). We thank FrizzleFry for his testing, and of course snakebyte for his original inspiration. :D
moorpipe

Post by moorpipe »

Kilmatead wrote:You use a resource editor (such as that of a development IDE) or just use ResourceHacker a well-known, fully-featured, free editor. You use it to open the x2 EXE binary file, and then look at the goo inside, specifically item MENU 128). :wink:

You can have a lot more (semi-officially sanctioned!) fun with ResHacker and x2 within this thread.
Thank you very much! Exactly what I wanted.
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: xplorer2 HACK : Convert any menu item to a toolbar button !!

Post by MKairys »

Where does menuhack live these days? The Dropbox link seems to be obsolete...
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

I seem to have the original 2006 version...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

The first link (v1.2) in the initial post works fine (it's my dropbox). The programme was last updated in 2016. I think Nikos keeps an official copy in a blog-post, but God only knows which one it's in...

All 'public' dropbox links on the internet had to be changed a few months ago, and it would appear that there were two links in the original post and Nikos missed the second one when I requested he update the change, as I don't have access to the post to modify it myself. Anyway, the link above will work - and Nikos' fallback-career as a proof-reader is now highly doubtful; fgagnon always was the better moderator. :wink:
Last edited by Kilmatead on 2017 Aug 17, 19:04, edited 3 times in total.
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

Thanks!