xplorer2 HACK : Convert any menu item to a toolbar button !!

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

goodstuff

Post by goodstuff »

Sounds good to me!  :) I never put anything in my C root, so I don't mind one extra file in there! Thanks
Stacey23

Post by Stacey23 »

I put Menuhack.exe in the program files folder and it always works.

Select all for instance has this

Code: Select all

>"C:\Program Files\MenuHack.exe" 32787
Should the path of the exe matter?

BTW, this hack has saved me a lot of time with work so Id like to thank everyone involved with this. Very nice. :D

Stace
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

goodstuff wrote:Not really sure what this %PATH% stuff is :oops: Is there any easy way to do it?

How to set paths:

The following method is for Windows XP. Other flavors of Windows will have slightly different methods.

1. Select the GoTo | Special folders | Control Panel menu option.
The control panel is loaded in your active pane.

2. D-click on the System. A window opens with multiple tabs. Select the Advanced tab.

3. Near its bottom, there is a Environmental variables button. Click it.  You will get another window.

4. In this window, concentrate on the bottom section, called System Variables. These variables are listed alphabetically. Scroll down till you come to a variable called Path.

This variable stores the paths that the system will automatically look up when you do not specify where an executable file is.

5. D-click on this Path entry. Yet another window pops up (Now you know why this thing is called "Windows") ;)

Now see carefully. You will see different paths separated by semicolons ( ; ). If your desired path is not there, simply add it, separated by a semicolon. Click on the OK button.

Note that the path can be in any drive (D:, E:, etc)

6. Go on closing all the parent windows by clicking on their OK buttons.

Now you don't need to specify the command with path: Just the executable name+extension will do. (e.g. MenuHack.exe)

HTH.
goodstuff

Post by goodstuff »

Cool! Thanks for the tutorial! :D
feralkid

is it possible to...

Post by feralkid »

Wondering if it's possible to use the technique described above for program controls (forgive my possible misuse of terms).  It may sound strange but I've developed a habit of using "Start playing media files immediately" for special folders and not for most others. Needless to say it's tedious to do all the clicking to options, etc.  

I love Autoit and menuhack and have used it for a number of menu items. Looking into the Autoit3 capabilities I was excited to see all it could do! The Autoit3 info tool shows me the following about this control:

"Start playing media files immediate&ly"
ClassNameNN Button18
Control ID 1105

It is not immediately obvious how to modify menuhack to enable/disable this control.  Any suggestions?
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Check out this script by Gandolf.

viewtopic.php?t=3284

It lets you toggle horizontal and vertical panes from toolbar. You should be able to modify it as per your needs.  

This is a AutoHotkey script. If you want, you can write it in AutoIt as well.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
shapirowilks

Post by shapirowilks »

Hi to everyone.

I have found incredibly useful the MenuHack script until today. But, suddenly, it doesn't work anymore. I have tried changing the path, with long and 8.3 names, moving MenuHack.exe to c:\ or making a %path% to its location (changing always the route the user command in xplorer2) but it won't work.

Any clue?

PD: Really, i do not know how this happened. Maybe trying with a system restore 'cause yesterday there was no problem with it... :shock: :?:
shapirowilks

Post by shapirowilks »

Hi again world!

As it suddenly stopped working yesterday, it now works without any problem.

Maybe Harry Potter helped me...

Anyway, thanks.
dricher

MenuHack.exe not working on Vista Ultimate

Post by dricher »

I have tried the settings listed with "nogo" for me.
>"c:\my scripts\menuhack.exe"32792
>"c:\menuhack.exe"32792
>"c:\menuhack.exe" I get the usage menu with this?

But all others I get hour glass for short time then ends. This is for "Rename" command. Snakebite can you help...please?
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

I'm using Vista Enterprise edition and Menuhack works for me.

1) Where you able to make list and detail commands work by following the instructions in the first post?

2) Its not clear where have you copied menuhack.exe. Is it "C:\" or "c:\my scripts" ? Make sure the path to the exe is correct in your usercommand.

3) If you invoke menuhack.exe without any parameters do you see any messagebox with usage instructions?

4) Do you have UAC enabled ? Are you running as admin? Does changing these settings make menuhack work?

I know this sounds funny. If you think that you have tried everything, then I would advice you to save your xplorer2 settings and restart windows.

PS: If you are after rename command then you do not need to use menuhack. You can add this command directly to your toolbar as it has an icon associated with it.
dricher

Post by dricher »

Snakbite....this is the settings That I tried.

>"c:\menuhack.exe"32792
>"c:\menuhack.exe" I get the usage menu with this?

But all others I get hour glass for short time then ends.

After your reply I turned off UAC and I run as Admin. I tried it and it worked? Rebooted and it didn't work? Saved settings in Xplorer2....rebooted again and it worked? Go figger.....Thanks for a great add on progie...
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

I just noticed that you did not use space between menuhack.exe and its parameter.

It should have been
>"c:\my scripts\menuhack.exe" 32792

Was this the problem?
dricher

Post by dricher »

No that didn't fix it.
NeverOutofTune

Great information! Slight variation on adding Detail button

Post by NeverOutofTune »

I have been looking through the manual and various post to find a way to add Pane Style List and Detail buttons to my toolbar.

I am using the List menuhack but for Detail, I just created a Column Set and added this to the toolbar.

Thanks for the information.   :D
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

MenuHack customize toolbar buttons of standard commands

Post by pschroeter »

I haven't tried it yet but I'm guessing you can use MenuHack to change individual buttons in the newest version (1.7.0.9 and above) of xplorer² for the standard functions that currently can't be changed.  Just create a new custom command that activates it and then change the hammer icon. It won't work in menus but you should be able to change toolbar icons.

A few days later I tried this and it worked. I only wanted to change one standard icon.