GUI and interface suggestions [pics]...

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

any progress on this?
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

??
negg

Post by negg »

Now that you brought up the discussion again I can't resist to say my opinion on some points:

- redundant toolbars and stuff: x2 IMO lives from the concept of showing one adressbar/tree/toolbar etc. and two two separate panes for files. This saves lots of space, makes the interface clean and easy to catch with the eye, and that is why I use x2. Please never ever change this!

- XP-tuning: Making a program behave like other programs sure is the right way. But given the fact that soon vista will come we should just forget it until we see what it brings OS-interface wise. (Me personally I don't care if the tabs are changed to OS-given style, because I use win2k style in XP anyway...make this wish very minor (or cosmetic) for me).

- non clickable path: that's another reason I use x2. Nowhere else is it so easy to switch from one subtree to another. Please don't change! Ever!!!

- pane autofocus on mouseover: personally I don't care about this, but if this should ever be implemented make it optional! Ever so often I just kick the mousepointer out of view and use the keyboard...then "oops" suddenly my focus would change and I delete the wrong file accidentally! Very bad idea for keyboard users.

- remove redundant selection box: no it is not redundant. The concept is: the dotted rectangle shows what you could select, not what you did select already. To be able to select even more files with the mouse it is still needed even with multiple selected files.

- customisation of bookmark toolbar buttons: yes I imagine this would be useful when toolbar button text is deactivated...but I use the bookmark menu (e.g. Alt-B 3) so I don't care.

So I am sorry, TsunamiZ, for me none of your proposed changes would be valuable. But that is of course only my point of view!

Martin
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

it would be great to at least have xp / vista style tabs support to enchance active tab visibility
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

any progress?
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

still suggesting this...
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Do you really think that you can nag your way through to get all these feature added?
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

it has been so long since the features were suggested that it has become nag now, huh?  here's to hoping for progress...
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

But X² is progressing! But not in the direction you suggest I'm afraid...
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

JRz wrote:But X² is progressing!
I agree with you... But, I have to be honest - I don't see anything special new in last few versions! Those new things are mainly "under the hood" or too hidden...

I also hope that xplorer2 will have a facelift soon...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I don't see anything special new in last few versions
that's rubbish talk, surely!
check for "under the hood" additions: keyboard customization, mini scrap (bookmark pane), quicksearch...

what would be special for you anyway, other than looks? We had that discussion many times already!
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

one thing i really need is to see tabs better!  right now it hard to see which tab is active at a glance because the tab colors are too similar...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what does fashion police have to say about that?

and note that orange is no longer in fashion (vista)
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

nikos wrote:what does fashion police have to say about that?

and note that orange is no longer in fashion (vista)
that still looks bad.  i prefer the xp / vista style tabs for max visibility.  on my xp pc xplorer2 tabs looks like crap...
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

on my xp pc xplorer2 tabs looks like crap...
Maybe you should work a bit on your display settings. I do like the tabs as they are now. They stand out nice and sharp without being too loud. I don't like interfaces that yell at me. Ok, I admit, I'm also the kind that switched the default XP style back to classic windows style two days after purchasing it (will do the same with Vista, probably)....