GUI and interface suggestions [pics]...

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

nikos wrote:in your case the fault is with the program you use to simulate vista looks under XP, so why do I have to fix it? why don't you throw this to whoever done this program?

if you were in true vista, then the latest v1.7 tabs look quite good and well defined!
because x2 has the worst looking tabs of any program i use--and it needs to have some option to improve tab visibilty.  im not giong to change my xp skin just because x2 is lazy about making GUI enchancements.  x2 GUI is outdated and feels clunky with a lack of interface options.  not only are some things hard to see, but some things are awkwardly arranged for dual panel browsing.  directory opus 9 is already far surpassing x2 in terms of user-friendliness.  when directory opus 9 adds a better color coding system, i will no longer have any reason to have x2 on my pc.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

amen ;)
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

amen to what?  since you are sick of hearing my many suggestions that will never get updated into x2?  :roll:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i am sorry that x2 hasn't been able to match your high expectations
if you send me your registration details i'll gladly refund you
that should put an amicable end to all this
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

well i still use x2 when i use extensive file color coding but that's about it.  directory opus 9 is better for my everyday file browsing and i can customize the interface, layout, colors to my heart's content.  it performs well too, of course.   id prefer x2 make some interface updates over a refund--since i don't think im suggesting anything unreasonable here.  example: 'modern tabs' and 'always visible tabs'--impossible?!  that alone says something.  over the last year, ive helped several of my favorite program's author's to make noticable improvements to their programs--but x2 remains mostly stagnant to my suggestions.  if i was a user that didn't care for the GUI, id be using total commander.  that program is hideous.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can put in your suggestions any time, just don't expect them to be implemented whenever you dictate. Give it time and most of the improvements will eventually materialize. You have to be patient
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

well im not totally giving up on x2 am i?  that's why im still checking up on these threads here.  but it has been over a year since i suggested some very basic gui enhancements--which is very long time in computer years.  it would be nice to have a hint of what you're reaction is and any estimated progress.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Tsunamiz,

You should pay some serious attention to the update policy stated in the user manual, which says that-
x2 is a complete package as it is. In general there aren’t going to be many updates; or at any rate, they will be infrequent. From time to time, there will be “service packs” whenever serious bugs are discovered.
You bought x2 as an off-the-shelf product, not as a turnkey product made to your specific order. Therefore, nagging and castigating the author for some specific features is not fair.

You cannot place yourself above the user base of x2. Remember, the latest features were added based on poll result. Now the next bunch of features will come only after some time (and that too may be decided through another poll). So there's nothing to be achieved through endless nagging.

As a forum user, please be mindful of the sensibilities of other users. Let your requests be light; and not grating incessant demands. Bumping posts is not a good practice.
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

nikos wrote:if you were in true vista, then the latest v1.7 tabs look quite good and well defined!
hm... I agree they look pretty well in Vista, but not as good as many other programs! I mean, that is the fact!

just one more regarding "skins": is it possible to do like it was with TheBat? (maybe it is still same, but I don't use it anymore) TheBat had its own BMP with icons inside EXE, but if you place external BMP with strict name and dimensions in its folder, TheBat will show those icons!

http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/theb ... in_api.php
http://www.silverstones.com/thebat/glyphs.html
http://www.thebatworld.de/system/sectio ... e&artid=49

This can be very good, cause:
1. you don't have to know anything about icon designing - just say, for example, that anyone who made new skin (or, it can be called "icon set") will get free Pro licence!
2. this kind of GUI modification does not slow down machine
3. it is easy to customize such skins
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

i am not nagging.  im just expressing my disapointment and lack of response from these suggestions.  i rarely come to this forum now and only check on my threads here every month or two and inquire about any progress.  that is not nagging, but the thread is so old it may seem like nagging to you.  check my post dates.
TsunamiZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TsunamiZ »

patience, sure, if there will be any progress at all.  i get mixed messages about if any progress is intended for these features.
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

nikos wrote:remember x2 still supports w95
BTW, is it feasible to support 9x line of Windows? Yes, I understand that there're people who still use these systems, but c'mon, if supporting unsupported-by-manufacturer systems slows down the development of new features in x2 (say, some things are impossible or hard to do just because of this support), then at some point you need to drop these systems off your supported OS list... :roll:
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

Follow up: personally I'd prefer to see enhanced Vista support in x2.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

ZoNi wrote:just one more regarding "skins": is it possible to do like it was with TheBat? (maybe it is still same, but I don't use it anymore) TheBat had its own BMP with icons inside EXE, but if you place external BMP with strict name and dimensions in its folder, TheBat will show those icons!

http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/theb ... in_api.php
http://www.silverstones.com/thebat/glyphs.html
http://www.thebatworld.de/system/sectio ... e&artid=49

This can be very good, cause:
1. you don't have to know anything about icon designing - just say, for example, that anyone who made new skin (or, it can be called "icon set") will get free Pro licence!
2. this kind of GUI modification does not slow down machine
3. it is easy to customize such skins
nikos, please, just let me know what you think about this suggestion? To me, this seems to be very good solution, cause "conservativ" people can have today's x2 "skin", while others can change it relatively easy...