GUI and interface suggestions [pics]...

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

tslim

Post by tslim »

Nikos: "it may seem odd but i believe that one of the features that make x2 successful is the very lack of infinite adjustability"

I think the word "lack" is arguable!
IMHO, a lot of adjustability = flexibility => user friendly.

It is a matter of how to design an intuitive interface which naturally lead user to find where he/she can adjust a feature. i.e. It is "easy to adjust the program" which matters, and easy to adjust is very different from only a few things can be adjusted. Keeping adjustability low is quite a negative way of doing.

I have played around for quite some time, evaluating Total Commander, D.Opus, XYPlorer and xPlorer². I was hesitating to choose xPlorer² because of not enough "adjustment" user can opt to, especially for its toolbar.

Among all D.Opus offers MAX level of adjustment... but IMHO, it fails to offer a simple way to let user find out where and how to achieve something.

Among all, Total Commander offers the most intuitive interface. However, I did not choose it because it is not unicode aware and it does not support ADS.

xPlorer² sits between the two. I just bought my xPlorer² license today :)
But in term of adjustability, I think it is at the min edge... in my opinion, it has the fewest adjustability to offer... and I don't think this is a good thing.

TC impress me by its powerful toolbar which is user definable (including button icon and icon size) and its super intuitive mass rename interface.
XYPlorer impress me by its right-click options for different column header. (e.g. right-click "size" column, you can choose different way to display file size)
All these are good features which I hope xPlorer² will one day incorporates and further improve them.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

xplorer2 is one of the few remaining file managers that is actively developed, so watch this space!

also, have a look at the stand-alone registry settings editor that offers a lot of exotic adjustments
hamigo

That went well.

Post by hamigo »

I understand.
thank you for replying.

I thought it was external tool.

Thank you for teaching.  :oops:
It worked!

moderator note:
Above post by hamigo is in response to a discussion 5 years later in the x2 Pro forum
http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?t=9388
Slim

Just One Change

Post by Slim »

I would like to have the ability, once again, to context click the double arrowhead next to the directory name in the pane header and then directly navigate any drive. If that can't be done, how about making the icon next to the double arrowhead part of the area you can click to have the drives listed in the pane, as opposed to having to click the arrowhead, which I find slows me down. I was okay with the delay when I could directly navigate the drives.

Bill Martz
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GUI and interface suggestions [pics]...

Post by nikos »

why don't you use the drivebar?
Slim

Re: GUI and interface suggestions [pics]...

Post by Slim »

I use two panes, horizontally laid out. If I am working in the bottom one, I have to move up past the upper pane to the drive bar and then back down to the lower pane. So when using the lower pane it is easier to click on the double arrowhead. The key issue for me, though, is that either using the drive bar or clicking on the double arrowhead only allows me to navigate one drive at a time. With the old feature, with just one click I could navigate all drives. Apparently no one else misses that ability as much as I do.