Xplorer2Hack: Menu++ Customizable menu for Xplorer2

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

gerald

Menu++ with SendInput instead of Send ?

Post by gerald »

Hello snakebyte,
I have used Menu++ to set up running batch templates, e.g. via

Title='ps to pdf Ghostscript'
Action=Send,^b,gswin32c -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sOutputFile="$P\$B.pdf" -dAutoRotatePages=/PageByPage -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -c .setpdfwrite -f "$F",!x

It works pretty well, except it would be much faster, if I could use the SendInput command from AutoHotkey. It is not implemented in the Menu++.exe I am using.
Could you update your script and executable to allow this faster transfer?

This would be of great help.

Thanks.

I will post this reply to the forum as well.

Gerald
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Hi Gerald,

I have a better suggestion which would make the whole process lightning fast(even faster than if sendinput was used). The key is to avoid launching any new windows or sending keystrokes. This trick involves creation of a simple AHK script

Code: Select all

Loop, %0%  ; For each parameter:
{
   param := %A_Index%

;MsgBox, Parameter number %A_Index% is %param%.

SplitPath, param, name, dir, ext, name_no_ext, drive

;MsgBox, %dir% - %name_no_ext%

Run, gswin32c.exe, -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sOutputFile="%dir%\%name_no_ext%.pdf" -dAutoRotatePages=/PageByPage -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -c .setpdfwrite -f "%param%"

}
1.Save and compile the above script as some exe say C:\tempscript\PS2PDF.exe
2. Create a new User command (Customize > User Commands > Add New")
3. Enter name as "PS2PDF" (or anything u like)
4. In Description write following

>"C:\tempscript\PS2PDF.exe" $A
Note: Here I'm using $A without quotes

5. Save the user command and add it to your toolbar.
6. Test it by selecting few .ps files and hit the toolbar button. See if they are converted into PDFs.
7. If step 5 works than you can add this user command to menu++ as

Title='ps to pdf Ghostscript' 
Action=Menu,10&,3&,[INDEX_OF_YOUR_USER_COMMAND_CREATED_IN_STEP_4]& 
Let me know if this works for you.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
gerald

Post by gerald »

Thanks snakebyte for your prompt help,
it works pretty well for me. I had to modify

Run, gswin32c.exe, -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sOutputFile="%dir%\%name_no_ext%.pdf" -dAutoRotatePages=/PageByPage -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -c .setpdfwrite -f "%param%" 
to

Run, gswin32c.exe -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sOutputFile="%dir%\%name_no_ext%.pdf" -dAutoRotatePages=/PageByPage -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -c .setpdfwrite -f "%param%"
and that was it.
The only thing I am not so satisfied with is, that it will open parallel Ghostscript windows, which leads to a heavy CPU load, if I am running a large number of files. That is different from the original use of xplorer2 templates, which runs the jobs sequentially.
Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks
gerald

Post by gerald »

In looking into the AutoHotkey manual I found the solution.
I use the  "RunWait" command, which waits until the program finishes before continuing, and in addition the "min" option, to launch minimized.

So it reads now

RunWait, gswin32c.exe -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sOutputFile="%dir%\%name_no_ext%.pdf" -dAutoRotatePages=/PageByPage -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -c .setpdfwrite -f "%param%", , min
Now I will start to include all my batch templates to have easy and fast access to them.

Thanks again, snakebyte
stinkytofu

Calling Up a Directory

Post by stinkytofu »

Is there an action or command in menu++ that calls up into the active pane a directory or folder that I specify?  

I have used the program to create toolbar buttons with lists of Bookmarks (folders) but I have exceeded the 20 allotted and wonder if there is a way to call up the particular folder/directory directly (without going through bookmarks).

I have about 30 or 35 buried folders that I access on any given day and having them on the toolbar would be a big help.

Thanks.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Menu++ does allow you to create bookmark menus...

You can also increase the number of bookmarks in x2 up to 99 by running the x2settingseditor... global/custom menu items
stinkytofu

Question re bookmark menus

Post by stinkytofu »

Thank you for the helpful suggestions.  Unfortunately my administrator has disabled my ability to modify the registry, so the registry route is not available.

What did you mean when you said "Menu++ does allow you to create bookmark menus..."  Will this add another menu to xplorer2 in which I can put the remaining bookmarks?  How do I do this?

Or is it possible to pull up the "More" command under the bookmark menu and then use menu++ to pick from that dialog box list?

Thanks again.
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Download MenuPlusPlus.zip from the first post. Follow the install instructions in the readme.txt. Display.ini included in the zip file has example of creating bookmarks for C:\program files and C:\Windows folders. Menu++ allow you to open bookmark in a new tab which X2 doesn't allows you to do.

BTW, how can you use X2 without having write access to registry? If you don't have access to launch regedit.exe then just use x2SettingsEditor.exe from X2 installation folder to modify X2 settings. In the Global tab increase the custom menu items count to 99. Now you should be able to have more than 20 bookmarks in X2.
Last edited by snakebyte on 2010 Jan 20, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
stinkytofu

Bookmarked folders

Post by stinkytofu »

That worked perfectly - thanks a ton.  This is a really big help to me.
Washuxxx

Can't download MENU++

Post by Washuxxx »

Link is not working, is there another link to get it?
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Here's a temporary link to it until Snakebyte's site is back up:

[I removed the link, Snakebyte's site is online again]
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Snakebyte, if you read this...  I'm having difficulties with the antivirus at work removing Menu++ automatically (at least I assume that's why it keeps disappearing from the folder as soon as I unzip it!)

I tried adding it to the exclusion list, but it still is getting removed, (Even though is DOES show as an item that is supposed to get excluded.)  I seem to remember this happening in the past and you were able to work some kind of magic to make a version of Menu++ that was immune...

Is it possible to do that again?  I'm using Win 7 with Sophos

======
[General]  
Endpoint security and control =  9.5
Current user rights =  Sophos Administrator

[Anti-virus and HIPS]
+[ Software]
Sophos Anti-Virus 9.5.5
Release status Full
======
I can send a bunch of additional system info as a PM if you want.

I'm an "admin" of my computer, but the antivirus is largely controlled centrally (i.e. not by me).

Hope you can help...  I've become quite spoiled by the display.ini menu :)
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Menu++ was written using autohotkey. Unfortunately lot of antivirus companies mark any executable compiled with Autohotkey as virus.

http://cranialsoup.blogspot.com/2008/12 ... rojan.html

http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic31975.html

My advice to you would be to contact Sophos directly and ask them to fix it (See the open letter link above)

Or you could try a different antivirus such as Microsoft Security Essential which is light weight, free and excellent in my opinion.
jm34harvey

Post by jm34harvey »

snakebyte said:
My advice to you would be to contact Sophos directly and ask them to fix it (See the open letter link above)
I agree. However, the following TechSupportAlert website's article provides another way of informing Sophos and multiple other AV vendors at the same time.

"How to Report Malware or False Positives to Multiple Antivirus Vendors"

Just thought you would like to know, John
John, Wizened Web Wizard Wannabe

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." -Albert Einstein
jm34harvey

Post by jm34harvey »

There, now that I have hurdled the 2 posts threshold I can post the URL.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... endors.htm
John, Wizened Web Wizard Wannabe

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." -Albert Einstein