portability

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Mr.Pleasant wrote:
1) I would not like to keep two versions
Why not? I mean, you're going to have two instances of the app anyway, what the problem with two versions?
I guess you are right this is not much of a problem.
Mr.Pleasant wrote:
2) I was thinking of keeping xplorer2 copy on a shared network folder accessible only by me.
Can't you just make an USB stick a shared network folder?
No this will not work. A shared USB drive over network will be treated as a remote drive rather than a removable drive.

I'm more interested in the second scenario as there is no use of USB sticks in a networked environment.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

snakebyte wrote:Using NTFS file permissons. Only I can access my shared folder on my network.
So again it boils down to end user honesty.
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

does "removable media" include external hard drives?
good question, i'll have to double check

ps actually you can check too! browse a folder on this external hard disk and check the "Medium" column (Alt+K to turn it on). If it says "floppy" you are fine
Last edited by nikos on 2007 Jun 06, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
oritpro

Post by oritpro »

I've been lurking on these forums since registering Xplorer2 about a month ago and just had to respond to this.

A portable version would be nice but Xplorer2 has a tendency to stall when it tries to reload resources that have become unavailable since it was last used. This seems to happen more often with network shares so I am guessing the same thing would happen with local resources as well. For example, let's say you were working with files on the F drive of one system, close down X2, and move to another system that only has a C drive. Would X2 stall trying to find that F drive again, or would the portable version handle things differently?

As for the piracy concerns, how about entering a small 5-character unlock code each time it is launched from the thumb drive?

Everything on my portable drives is encrypted with TrueCrypt in case they are ever lost or stolen so the unlock code would just be a nuisance to me. But this idea might give others a little piece of mind.

By the way Nikos, I would love to see a Linux version of X2 to replace Nautilus--with CD burning capabilities of course :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

welcome oritpro! (I start sounding like fred here :))

to make sure you don't start with unavailable resources, either clear "save settings on exit" or provide starting folders from the command line, e.g. "xplorer2_UC.exe c: c:\ /T" (see the quickstart guide for acceptable command line options)

the portable version will not have this problem since it will in effect be in a permanent not save settings on exit mode!
james_k

Post by james_k »

I'd prefer X2 not bound to any PC, drive, interface, directory, NTFS right etc

I don't mind if personalized to me - even PW protected at every startup.
X2 could be renewed when I think I urgently need a newer version with new features....as long as the $10 paying frequency is not out of proportion

Reason: I often work for a very security minded customer - access to USB ports is restricted (among other things). I'm not willing to discuss here some secu actions of his, but I can't imagine to run X2 under the constant surveillance of an IT-secu guy....

So in that case I had to stick to the Lite version.
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

does "removable media" include external hard drives?
Too bad, it seems that your 'removable media' has to be a flash-memory drive to be recognised as removable. I've got this USB external hard drive, which is indicated as 'Hard Disc'. So for me it would be a minor disadvantage if X2 portable would run on 'removable media': I'd have to buy a flash-drive.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

indicated as 'Hard Disc'
that's bad. If you browse "my computer" does this drive appear in anyway different to normal hard disks, in terms of any column? Or perhaps something in its Properties dialog hinting it is external?
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

nikos wrote:to make sure you don't start with unavailable resources, either clear "save settings on exit" or provide starting folders from the command line, e.g. "xplorer2_UC.exe c: c:\ /T" (see the quickstart guide for acceptable command line options)
Try to put a shortcut to an inaccessible network path in mini-scrap... :(
I'm using Xplorer2 - the only file manager that does not suck. Actually, it rocks!
wasker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wasker »

james_k wrote:Reason: I often work for a very security minded customer - access to USB ports is restricted (among other things). I'm not willing to discuss here some secu actions of his, but I can't imagine to run X2 under the constant surveillance of an IT-secu guy.
Well, in this case I'd better not to bother with any unapproved 3rdparty software at all.
longfellow
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by longfellow »

Confirmed, same here: my USB external drive is listed as 'Hard Disc' under the 'Medium' column and 'Local Disk' in "My Computer". Also doesn't show as Removable Media in Computer Management > Storage.

Seems Windows makes no distinction between a portable drive and a fixed disk.
Larry

Post by Larry »

I'd certainly pay for it.

As far as your protection, would it be possible to put a time limit on this special version?  A registered user could download an updated copy that is autogenerated somehow.  Too complicated or no real value?

I'm glad someone has trust. :-)

Just a thought.

Larry
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

btw, is it possible to make portable xplorer2 with this:
http://www.thinstall.com/products/virtu ... _suite.php

I haven't tried, but seems it is possible ;)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you don't have admin privileges enough to run x2 i'm sure you'll have a problem with this monster you found too!
Rbn

Post by Rbn »

ZoNi wrote:btw, is it possible to make portable xplorer2 with this:
http://www.thinstall.com/products/virtu ... _suite.php

I haven't tried, but seems it is possible ;)
even if you could, i think the price is just a little bit high

Code: Select all

thinstall.com/sales/purchase.php