Make xplorer2 PRO the default file manager in XP

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

stillborn

Make xplorer2 PRO the default file manager in XP

Post by stillborn »

A once-popular topic, now largely superseded by the installation option of "Explorer replacement mode for file system items" beginning with xplorer² v1.8.0.5 (February 11, 2010)  
Topic is interesting for its "how-to" background detail more than its current need.  

originally posted in the xplorer² Professional forum.    Moved here 19-May-2010 =fg=
==================================================================

Hello all,

I got so sick of reading through this entire forum to find a simple 'hack' to make xPlorer2 PRO the default file manager in my Windows XP system (SP-2) that I just had to post a simple variation in this thread from another thread that was 4 pages long, and ended with a post that was actually a bad resistry hack (which I then corrected today). See Page 4 here:

http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?t=17 ... n&start=45

..if interested.

As an experienced user, I read through an hour of trying to find out (simply) how to make xPlorer2 PRO the 'default' replacement for Windows Explorer. In the "registry.txt" included with the program, it is not clear even to an average user exactly how to replace Explorer with xPlorer2 PRO, including when you click on Drives, Folders, Recycle Bin, Desktop "My Computer" My Documents, etc.

Here is a simple variation/correction that was posted (incorrectly) by a guy on the above thread, which was never corrected for months on this forum (which I just did correct) and I am now posting this exact (tested by me) REG HACK that will make life simple for many of you trying the very cool program for the first time, and like me, looking for a reasonable way to easily replace Explorer with "xPlorer2 PRO".

There is no need to go into the registry for this hack. It is just creating the key.

First, copy all of this text (including the "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" part!!) and save it to notepad.

--------copy exact below---------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell]
@="xplorer2"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\xplorer2]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\xplorer2\command]
@="C:\\Program Files\\zabkat\\xplorer2\\xplorer2_UC.exe \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell]
@="xplorer2"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\xplorer2]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\xplorer2\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
@="xplorer2"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\xplorer2]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\xplorer2\command]

-----------copy exact above-----------------

Then, 'save as' a .REG file. In notepad, call the entire file name something like InitialSetup.reg

...including the .reg at the end.

Now, close xPlorer2 PRO, if you have it open, and just double click the file and 'agree' with the popup dialog box.

Perfect. You're done.

This is assuming that, like me, you have downloaded the program and followed THE DEFAULT INSTALL OPTIONS all the way to the end. My version is 1.7.0.5 PRO.

After trying all the tweaks, and other suggestions on this forum, I'm up and running with perfect ease and now have Drives, Folders, etc. all bringing up xPlorer2 PRO whenever I click on them. I have 6 Drives all with shortcuts in the Start Menu and displayed AS a menu, and it even works on these. Moreover, I have just installed this Registry Hack on Microsoft Tablet PC 2005 Edition, and it also works perfectly.

NOTE: "Printers and Faxes" will be accessible from now on by double clicking on Control Panel. It will be near the top in the next pane.

Simple Note: If you ever want to bring up the standard Windows Explorer again, just RIGHT click on anything, and click "Explore" and do the exact "RIGHT" click method mentioned above to every other folder 'within' Windows Explorer to navigate inside the original Explorer - otherwise, by clicking on a folder, it will pop a new window into xPlorer2 PRO.

But, now that I'm set up with the 'REG HACK' above, I couldn't possibly find a reason to want to go (back) into the original Windows Explorer ever again.

Regards,
Sti||born.

PS - Please, for the sake of everyone, unless you have something of real substance to add to this thread, let's just leave it like it is without 4 pages of rants so that other new users can find what took me over an hour in this forum to get. xPlorer2 PRO is by far the best File Manager replacement out there, and congrats to everyone who supports it and all the MODs and creator of this great program.

SEO: Make xplorer2 the default file manager, Windows XP, SP2, Tablet PC, xplorer2 PRO, default, Explorer, Windows Explorer, xplorer 2 make default folders, drives and file folders manager.
stillborn

Update

Post by stillborn »

Update:

After a week of solid use using xplorer2 as my default file manager, I've found only one real issue that many people might find a need for. And that is the access of "View Network Connections". You cannot access this using xplorer2 (they won't show).

Of course, "View Network Connections" comes in handy if you have to access your modems, wireless WiFi, ethernet and/or 'Local Area' connections, etc.

The easy way to get there is to RIGHT click on "My Network Places" or similar, and click "OPEN" and then just click on "View Network Connections" on the LEFT side pane. That's it. If you have a Laptop using a router, you can also get to your "Wireless" connections as well.

Other than that minor pitfall, everything is awesome when using the above registry hack for making xplorer2 your default file manager in WinXP (SP2/SP3)

Sti||born
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

I think it would be great if you could also include reg settings for reverting back to the original Windows explorer settings.

Nikos: As stillborn mentioned there are some pitfalls when xplorer2 is set as default browser. I have seen lot of people having trouble reverting back to Windows Explorer after setting x2 as their default file browser.

Registering and unregistering xplorer2 as the default browser should be a setting inside xplorer2 itself and not some registry hack.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the official policy is "don't replace explorer completely with x2" and stillborn has discovered why with the network and other virtual folders

personally i do all folder opening from within x2 so there's no need for registry hacks
stillborn

Response

Post by stillborn »

snakebyte wrote: Registering and unregistering xplorer2 as the default browser should be a setting inside xplorer2 itself and not some registry hack.
I completely agree.

Nikos, people are going to do it (want it) anyway. Why not include this?

That way, the uninstall (if they ever wanted to revert) would correct any damage to the HIVE.  

Sti||born
czechboy

Post by czechboy »

Hi,
I have found some help at TC forum and changed it for our purposes. To make xplorer2 default (This Computer, Printers, Bin, Control panel, all forlders, other computers) download open following files:

for lite version (the path is:C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2_lite\xplorer2_lite.exe, tested on WinXP SP2 CZ - working):
http://oldrich.svec.googlepages.com/lite.reg

for pro version (the path is:C:\Program Files\zabkat\xplorer2\xplorer2_UC.exe, not tested):
http://oldrich.svec.googlepages.com/pro.reg

To undo the operation (tested on WinXP SP2 CZ - working):
http://oldrich.svec.googlepages.com/undo.reg

EDIT: dealing "View Network Connections", it could be easily added to xplorer2 system icon by adding:

Code: Select all

::{7007ACC7-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E}
try to type in in the bar and you will see yourself
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Hi czechboy,

Welcome to the board :)

... and thank you for that additional research.  :thumbup:

While the registry adjustments in those .reg files cover a few more situations than what was posted by stillborn, users are cautioned that they cannot be guaranteed to work without problems.  
We appreciate that you provide them with good intent, but I must remind users that altering the registry is done so at their own risk, and the .reg files cited above have only had limited testing.
stillborn

Perfect

Post by stillborn »

Czechboy,

That is awesome! Works perfectly.

Then I just bookmarked it, and now have the ultimate problem fixed (including accessing my Laptop with "Wireless Connections").

THANKS!  :thumbup:

Sti||born
stealthpiper

thanks

Post by stealthpiper »

:lol: My thanks to czechboy and stillborn for their hard work. I am sort of new at all this and am very pleased to be able to use this program instead of windows explorer. Between you guys - you made it easy. Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I've added this information in registry.txt but it is still considered unsupported. Don't come asking me questions if any of all that ends up screwing your computer :)
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

making x2p defualt without using regedit -- and "hi&quo

Post by kunkel321 »

Firstly "Hi" since I just now joined the group.

Secondly just a kudos to the developer...  I've used all of the major free file managers and have always come back to xplorer2.  I've used it for a couple of years without going pro, because the lite version is quite powerful.  I finally registered and am very glad I did.

Finely, It's funny to see a resent post on on making x2 the default launcher because it was the first thing I tried to do after registering PRO.  Perhaps I downloaded it right after the info was added to the readme TXTs.   Note that the directions in for the registry change didn't match the folders in my registry on my XP home edition with SP2.

I was able to achieve making xplorer2 the default explorer using the Windows GUI, which was very close the the readme direction and which I will outline below just for the sake of documenting it on the forum.

MAKE XPLORER2 THE DEFAULT BROWSER IN XP:
1. Open Control Panel.
2. Open Folder Options.
3. Click the [File Types] tab and wait for it to find them all.
4. Choose the type "File Folder."
5. In the area below marked "Details for 'File Folder' file type" click the [Advanced] button.
6. The "Edit File Type" dialog appears.  Choose "open_x2" from the list.
7. Click [Set Default], then [OK], and then [Close].

... Or at least that's the way it seems to work on my machine..

IMPORTANT NOTE: I just tried and couldn't revert back to the default Windows Explorer by using the Folder Options GUI.  I did export the pertinent part of my registry prior to making the change though--and I'll bet that reimporting that would revert me...

Lastly, A question for those of you who made this change by importing the previously (above) posted reg file:  When you open the actual "My Documents" folder, does it open in the default Windows window or in xplorer2???   :?:  Mine uses the default for this, but uses x2 for all of the sub folders....  

Thanks -steve.   :D
snemarch
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by snemarch »

Dear Nikos,

finally took the time to register on your forum instead of spamming your email with feature requests :)

I know that "replacing explorer with xplorer^2" isn't officially supported, but  I hope you can find the time to look into the LAN icon click / my network places. I've been using x^2 associated with folder/directory since day 1, and the network places bug is the only annoyance - basically everything else works perfectly.

For me, having x^2 associated with HKCR\{folder,directory} is pretty crucial, 99% of the time I launch x^2 it's through FARR, toolbar shortcuts, etc., where explorer.exe would launch if it was not for the HKCR overrides. Considering how capable x^2 is, and that your shell namespace support seems decent, I think you should reconsider your stance on system integration.

It's worth noting that clicking the LAN icon in the tray seems to call x^2 with an empty location; I wonder if it's worth going through some registry monitoring to see if it tries to use some DDEExec or wants a different parameter than /L?  start->settings->network connections seems to work fine (although I could swear I had problems with it in the past!), it gets called with the following location: ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\ ::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\ ::{7007ACC7-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E}.
(spaces added by me, to avoid creating a superwide post).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this DDE exchange is what i'm trying to avoid -- don't know nowt how to handle it :)
snemarch
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by snemarch »

nikos wrote:this DDE exchange is what i'm trying to avoid -- don't know nowt how to handle it :)
Iirc DDE isn't that much of a bother, especially not compared to the COM horrors you must have gone through ;). I'll try to find some time and investigate what happens when you click the LAN icon in the tray.
sajdude

Post by sajdude »

Hi czechboy,

Thank you so much. Your "undo" reg key really made my day. :) I like this program but don't want it to be my default explorer. It was a headache to right click and selecting the option OPEN or EXPLORE every time I had to open something, till the time I found ur post. So thank you once again.[/size][/color] :D