Make xplorer2 PRO the default file manager in XP

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the new xplorer2 v1.72 makes this process much easier see:
http://www.zabkat.com/blog/23Nov08-new- ... leased.htm
GGreenberg

Replacing usual file-open / file-save window with X2

Post by GGreenberg »

There used to be a program that provided customized, bookmarked, preferences-included file-trees whenever the user opened a file-tree (not from the desktop, but from WITHIN any program).

By file-tree, I mean anytime an application offered you the opportunity to browse into directories, usually a file-save-as or a file-open or even a file-upload selection inside an internet browser.

It was called File-Ex and they do NOT offer a Vista version.
at this site cottonwoodsw dot com

Is such a replacement available as a feature of X2?

It would very gratifying to be able to have the range of controls of programs from within (eg) the File-Load command in MS-Word .

Sure, there're times when you want to use the original file mgr screen, but File-Ex allowed that one to emerge from an internal command (or holding the Ctrl-key down when opening the File-save command/icon.

First, I wonder if that option already exists (based on the l-o-n-g thread about simply replacing the folder-open command with X2, I suspect not).

Second, how do we propose such a functionality to the mgmt?

Thanks,
- Gary
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can't replace the standard open/save boxes with xplorer2. What could help you is either drag-drop files from xplorer2 straight onto MS word or other program to open them. Also you can copy out paths from xplorer2 as text, then paste them in these open/save dialogs to quickly locate a file or browse a folder
GGreenberg

Post by GGreenberg »

nikos wrote:you can't replace the standard open/save boxes with xplorer2. What could help you is either drag-drop files from xplorer2 straight onto MS word or other program to open them. Also you can copy out paths from xplorer2 as text, then paste them in these open/save dialogs to quickly locate a file or browse a folder
Thanks for the reply, and I agree that these are a good work-around for the functionality I seek.
These are both potentially useful but ultimately awkward options. For the years that I had File-Ex provide me with enhanced file-open (etc) functionality, I found it routinely saved me a ton of time.

In addition to providing the user with single-click access to any recent sub-dir, it actually learned which sub-dir's you used from each app, storing these on-the-fly.

Thanks,
- Gary[/u]
makeinstallclean

Reverting back to Windows Explorer

Post by makeinstallclean »

Anyone that might want to revert back to windows explorer should create a backup of the registry keys that are being changed before they run the registry script from this thread. I'm running windows 2000 so this doesn't apply to me but windows xp has a command line program called REG.exe that can be used from a batch file to edit/backup the registry and individual keys. I found information about it here http://www.petri.co.il/reg_command_in_windows_xp.htm in-case anyone is interested in writing a batch file for the xp users the other option is just googling "Backing up a registry key" once you have a backup of the keys that need changed you can revert back at any time by just clicking the reg files made in the backup process.
MichaelBH

Make xplorer2 PRO the default file manager in XP (VISTA)

Post by MichaelBH »

Looks like XP and VISTA registries entries for the entries in the above forums are different. Is there an 'UNDO' for VISTA registry? thanks, Michael
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you have backed up the registry keys as you yourself recommended, then running the saved REG backup registry file is itself a way to undo the changes you've made
makeinstallclean

nikos wrote:if you have backed up the registry keys as you yourself recommended, then running the saved REG backup registry file is itself a way to undo the changes you've made
Yes, that is what I was suggesting that by making a backup of the keys you can then undo the changes by restoring them. The only problem I see with that for normal users is the inability to back up the keys. That's why I posted the link to the info on the command line tool in case anyone wanted to write a batch file for the users  who don't know how (I would do it but I don't run windows xp so that utility is not available to me).
MichaelBH

Post by MichaelBH »

Good point. Running the undo worked fine. However I have a problem that  I was hoping running undo would fix. However it did remove XPLORER2 as the culprit. Will put it back as the default now and go on researching my other problem. Thanks.
MichaelBH

Post by MichaelBH »

I suppose this is off topic for the subject, but in VISTA, in REGEDIT, you simply right click on the COMPUTER at the top and select export. Voila, your registry is backed up.  ...Michael
makeinstallclean

Yeah that backs it up the only problem you may want to watch out for is that when you restore the entire registry from a backup any changes to settings stored in the registry or new programs that you have installed since the backup will be messed up.

If you are going to back up the whole thing because you want to try different registry hacks to fix a problem then it is a good idea to back up the whole thing and then restore the whole thing as needed, but if you are going to back up the whole thing as a way to fix problems in the future then you need to back it up any time you install new software at the very least probably more often (Nightly?).
MichaelBH

Post by MichaelBH »

You're right of course. One time when I had to resort to that I simply edited the backup and took out all the stuff except what I needed. Was a bit of a pain, but it worked. ... Michael
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

One minor problem with this registry "hack" is that Vista/7 have some folders that actually won't work outside the Windows Explorer.

Example: Control Panel > Software - of course you /can/ open it with xplorer², but you'll get an empty window then. So for those you'll still need the Explorer. I wonder if the Directory Opus guys managed to include a workaround for that...

Does anyone know a solution (except "right-click and choose Explorer")?
AllyKat

Post by AllyKat »

xplorer2 Pro v1.8.0.8 [Unicode]:

Hi everyone

Is the only way to replace windows explorer with xplorer2 still by doing a fresh install of xplorer2? If so, does the registry hack posted in this thread still provide a safe way to enable/disable this function?

Thanks.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

things have changed so just reinstall xplorer2. You don't need to uninstall it first