beauty is skin deep

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

erciyes

Post by erciyes »

great! :)
my favourite xplorer just got better! :) *happy*
MCHAL

Post by MCHAL »

nikos wrote:
I do not have artistic skills
me neither, let's hope we'll attract some other people's attention!
I was thinking, in the worst case there won't be any skins to download immediately, but down the road there will be some user-created icons for all to share
Maybe one of us could try to contact Everaldo http://www.everaldo.com/ and get help from him. Just an idea.
snemarch
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by snemarch »

*phew*, for a second I thought you had added custom skinning to x^2  :shock:, and I was just about to throw a fit (or have a heart attack) - and then it turns out just to be replaceable toolbar graphics. Nice to see that you haven't caved in yet :)
mikelino

Post by mikelino »

16x16 icons are hard to pimp. There is no way to exploit any effect that makes icons nice. I think that is the reason why there are so few nice 16x16 icons available. The best one could get are clean, minimalistic and ergonomic icons, but I think the current ones are quite close to that what is possible using this resolution.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

One thing you should realize:  Free icons are available all over the Internet.

Another thing you may not but should also realize:

Dynamic Drive, an *invaluable* website for Web related stuff, has a very nice favicon generator script on their page at:  http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/

Now, you may ask so what?  Well, it takes your images and makes little 16X16 icons - see where his is going?

You can take some really exquisite larger .PNG /.JPG / .BMP /.GIF  images and using this tool make some really nice .ico files to use.

That being said, have fun every one!

pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Be aware the Dynamic Drive FavIcon Generator 150 kb limit

Post by pschroeter »

The the Dynamic Drive FavIcon Generator has a 150 kb limit on file size, so the image can't be too large.

I use Paint.NET
http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

with the Evans Icon/Cursor Paint.NET Plug-in
http://www.evanolds.com/pdnicocur.html

to create icons. There are probable better choices but these are free. I sometimes do screen grabs of smaller, simple (at this size the simpler the better) graphics from Google image search that I think will work, shrink them to 16X16 and then save them as icons.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Good point - I did neglect to mention the size limit - must have deleted it out and forgotten to paste it back.

I haven't looked into the plug-in for Paint.Net yet, sounds promising - I can say that thus far I love Paint.Net though, but not being a graphic artist, I only use it to occasionally save an image / create an image as needed.

paNET

Post by paNET »

I'm using Inkscape, GIMP and IcoFX (a good freeware app.) to create icons. I can help you if you tell me what you need. Usually I'm under the pressure of time for my current tasks, but I still can resolve some small things.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

The plugin page gives me a 404 when I try to download it....

re - images - nothing yet - I usually find very good high quality .PNGs to use when I feel the urge, usually allowed to be copied by Creative Commons license....

Or I steal them from my own .DLL files on my system :P

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

paNET, we are still looking for creative people that could furnish a complete set of xplorer2 icons in various alternative themes and styles. If you could find some time for such a task you'd make a lot of xplorer2 people happy
lutz

Example skin?

Post by lutz »

Is there an example skin available anywhere? - just to see what is possible.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

nothing that i know of. If any artist has developed a skin they must be keeping it for themselves!

we can only hope :)
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

I have tested this new option... And nothing happened!

I made this custom skin (actually, only few icons are changed, for testing purposes), then placed it in x2 folder, restart x2 - and all is same!

What is wrong?

Here is BMP file: http://rapidshare.de/files/38622402/toolbar256.bmp.html

Btw: XP SP2, x2 1.7.1.0 [Unicode]
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you have to call it x2skin.bmp and put it in the installation folder
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

nikos wrote:you have to call it x2skin.bmp and put it in the installation folder
yes, it works now! ;)

You should write that in your blog entry and in skin developers pack  :idea: