beauty is skin deep

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

What do you name the B&W custom toolbar?

Post by pschroeter »

you have to call it x2skin.bmp and put it in the installation folder
What do you name the black and white toolbar? Maybe x2skinBW? I haven't changed any B&W icons yet so I want to know for the future. This should be in skinsReadMe.

BTW: I've used MenuHack to access these commands for which I created my own icons. I mention them because it would nice to have more direct access to them in the future.
Invert Selection, Show All, List view, Mini thumbs, and Thumbnails.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's right, x2skinBW.bmp
paNET

Post by paNET »

nikos wrote:paNET, we are still looking for creative people that could furnish a complete set of xplorer2 icons in various alternative themes and styles. If you could find some time for such a task you'd make a lot of xplorer2 people happy
I made few tests yesterday and, if I'll have some time, I'll draw few icons this weekend. From my tests, the most visible problem is the limitation of a single level of transparency. If you're using Visual Studio, it knows only to mask a color to create transparency and therefore the rounded images appears roughly. Would be great if you could add support for PNG. There is also a much better option: SVG that has the advantage to be scalable and is an open standard, but I don't know if it is possible to be used in toolbars. Or, at least, you need to develop special libs for it. (By the way: excepting Adobe Bridge, I don't know a good svg viewer available on windows. And if you want to display the svg files content in X2, maybe this is a good moment to start working on it :) ). Anyway, even in current conditions, I'll try to make the icons as smooth as possible.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

visual studio is not an issue, i just need a way to load these bitmaps via some windows API during runtime. I am not aware of any simple way to load resources other than BMPs, and i am not going to introduce dependencies just to load icons! If you have any workaround let me know
paNET

Post by paNET »

Unfortunately, I'm not programmer to can help you more. I only live around them :) ...
I saw that Irfan Skiljan implemented somehow to use PNG skins and Notepad++ reads .ico from a folder (if I remember well). This is why I mentioned other possible solutions than .bmp. Regarding SVG, my idea was not to implement something only for toolbar icons, but also for SVG preview in thumbnail mode in X2.