blog: editor2

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

desslok
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by desslok »

I just found out that it accepts what I call the direct ASCII code input method, such as Alt + Num 201, or É. No other editors, including Notepad, as far as I know, can handle upper case letters with diacritics this way. MS Word can. Anyway, nice attention to details.
snemarch
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by snemarch »

Notepad can do it, Notepad++ can do it, in fact just about any editor (and standard edit controls) handle the Alt+Numpad codes. By the way, entering 0 as the first digit in a Alt+num sequence enters as unicode character rather than ascii character.

But I'm of course speaking about NT, if you're on 9x the situation might be different :)
desslok
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by desslok »

snemarch wrote:But I'm of course speaking about NT, if you're on 9x the situation might be different :)
You are also speaking about the standard Western European encoding as the system default. Don't assume that your situation applies to everyone :)
snemarch
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by snemarch »

desslok wrote:
snemarch wrote:But I'm of course speaking about NT, if you're on 9x the situation might be different :)
You are also speaking about the standard Western European encoding as the system default. Don't assume that your situation applies to everyone :)
So, you're saying ALT+0201 will work on machine with Western-European locale as the system standard, but not others? Sounds a bit weird to me, since the '0' prefix should mean entering in unicode...
desslok
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by desslok »

Weird or not, it's true. If you can't believe it, install a non-European keyboard driver and see it for yourself :wink:
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

snemarch wrote:So, you're saying ALT+0201 will work on machine with Western-European locale as the system standard, but not others? Sounds a bit weird to me, since the '0' prefix should mean entering in unicode...
It works ok in Notepad here (Serbian locale, XP SP2)!
IainB

Blog re Editor² - consider features in EditPad Classic

Post by IainB »

Whilst xplorer²'s built-in Editor²  seems pretty nifty, it cannot replace my use of EditPad Classic v3.5.2 (postcardware) as my Notepad replacement.

Included in EditPad's features are tabbed file windows, which I find very handy.

Refer URL: editpadpro(dot)com/editpadclassic9dot)html

If Editor² had that feature, I'd certainly switch.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Hi IainB,

Welcome to the board! :D

Editor² is there for the convenience of users who have nothing better than notepad. Nicely integrated with xplorer², with a good deal more capability than notepad, it is not intended to be the ultimate text editor.  By itself, it is actually freeware (as discussed elsewhere) and it is not required for using xplorer².  I don't use it for every text editing job either; but it is sooo convenient for the most frequent, simple tasks that I wind up using more than the others. :thumbup:
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

When I open any txt file with editor2 (with F3), it is "read only", so I have to hit F6 to make it "read/write".

Can editor2 open any txt file as "read/write", not "read only"?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that;s why it's called "view" not edit
use F4 to edit
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

nikos wrote:use F4 to edit
LOL! I didn't even now there is two separate functions :D