blog: backup or transfer your settings

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can, but make sure that xplorer2 is not running when you import the settings to the new computer

also some settings e.g. bookmarks, may not get transferred properly if the folders don't exist as in the original computer
Ferque6

Re: blog: backup or transfer your settings

Post by Ferque6 »

Where is stored the x2settings.reg file when you use Actions > Export settings?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

normally it goes in the folder you are browsing at the time. Otherwise you can add a pathname when you are prompted for the REG filename, so you control exactly where the file goes
unbob

Post by unbob »

I'm running v3.5.0.2 Professional x64 on Windows 10 Home v1607. I'm not seeing 'Export settings' under 'Actions'.

Is Actions -> Export settings now obsolete and no longer supported? Is there now some other method for exporting settings?

Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thx, Rob
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

In Tools/Options/Window (tab) there is a check box for plain menus (bottom right) which reduces the commands available in the menus.
unbob

Post by unbob »

FrizzleFry wrote: 2018 Jan 08, 22:27 In Tools/Options/Window (tab) there is a check box for plain menus (bottom right) which reduces the commands available in the menus.
Thanks for that tip! I would have never seen it!
Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Gary M. Mugford »

FizzleFry,

Without your pointing a finger at the Plain Menu checkbox, I would have continued to embalden myself over the missing Actions/Save menu. I have been on a cycle of creating a particular bookmark and a place for it on my customized menu in the v4.5 I've been forced to use in Windows 10 which I am using at gunpoint, and then repeating the process seemingly every few days. WHY this setting exists and WHY this Plain Menu does away with such a critical function is ... well, I need Nikos' help on other issues, so I'll keep my litany of curses to myself. Thank you for saving me making myself a gutter guy publicly.

Late to the game GM.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I guess the plain menus is supposed to be like basic/advanced settings in other programs. It seems that it is checked by default in fresh installs so it tends to catch new users (maybe to protect them?) or the occasional veteran cleaning house. I have pointed it out a few times and I think nikos pointed it out to me at one point.