Thumbnails for Obscure Formats

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thumbnails for Obscure Formats

Post by Kilmatead »

This thread was originally posted  in the xplorer² Professional forum.        
Moved here 04-August-2011 =fg=
=====================================================

In my long search to be able to get Gimp .XCF files to display thumbnails when browsing, I finally ran across a free tool that can do it, plus about 200 other formats (everything from Mac image-types to Camera RAW types to brush formats).

This was originally posted on the XNView forums, but the tool itself is unrelated to XNView and may be used separately.

32 bit and 64 bit versions available.

SageThumbs

For those interested, it supports all the following image filetypes (no video):

Code: Select all

acr, ai, alias, als, ani, apng, apx, arw, bga, blk, bm, bmp, bpx, bw, cal, cals, cam, ch, cin, cit, clo, cloe, clp, cmt, cr2, crw, ct, cur, cursor, dc3, dcm, dcr, dcx, dds, dib, dic, dicom, dis, dng, dpx, ei, eidi, emf, emz, epi, eps, ept, flc, fli, fx3, fxd, fxm, fxo, fxr, fxs, g3n, gbr, gif, giff, gp4, grey, gry, hdr, hdri, icl, icns, ico, icon, iff, ilbm, img, imt, inta, iris, itg, ivb, j, j6i, jbf, jbr, jfif, jif, jpe, jpeg, jpg, k25, kdc, kqp, kro, lbm, lff, mbm, mif, miff, mil, mng, mos, mrw, msk, mtv, nef, oil, orf, p7, pat, pbm, pcc, pcd, pct, pcx, pdb, pdf, pdx, pef, pfr, pgm, pic, picio, pict, pict2, pix, pixar, pm, pmp, png, pnm, ppm, ppma, pr, prc, prn, ps, ps1, ps2, ps3, psd, psp, pspbrus, pspfram, pspimag, pspmask, psptube, pwp, pxa, pxb, pxr, pxs, qrt, qti, qtif, qtl, raf, ras, rast, raw, rawraw, rgb, rgba, rl4, rl8, rla, rlb, rle, rpbm, rpf, rpgm, rpnm, rppm, rs, rsb, rw2, scr, sct, sfw, sgi, si, sj1, sr, sr2, srf, sun, suniff, syn, synu, sys, taac, targa, tdi, dtim, tex, tga, tif, tiff, tim, tm2, tub, urt, uyvy, vff, vga, vpb, vst, wap, wbm, wbmp, wfx, wmf, wmz, x11, x3f, xbm, xcf, xpm, xwd, yuv
Last edited by Kilmatead on 2015 Jun 06, 11:06, edited 2 times in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i am planning a blog article with such extensions, so this is a good find!
still looking for a previewer for wordperfect WPD files that many people ask for, any ideas?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

sagethumbs is a nice discovery for all the filetypes it supports. Now I can get thumbnails and QV previews for my canon RAW photos w/o opening my photo processing software to see what's what.  :thumbup:
But I don't care for its caching as it quickly eats too much system resources. :thumbdn:

@ jumbled mess -
No more of a jumble than than the rest of the forums.  :o
... Which should be no surprise considering the source.  I merely succumbed  in to a mounting number of requests that a collection popular useful topics would be desirable -- even without removing the attendant chaff. :shrug:
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

fgagnon wrote:But I don't care for its caching as it quickly eats too much system resources.
It only seems to use the system resources once upon initial viewing of a folder to create the initial thumbnails (stored in a single file in \AppData\Local\SageThumbs.db3).  Once all your photos are "thumbed", no more resources are used, as far as I can tell - and they "snap to" quite efficiently in x2 henceforth.  That said, if you have 20,000 photos stored it might take some time to create all the thumbnails.

x2 does have a problem displaying SageThumbs created .ICO thumbs (alpha channels turn black)... not sure why, as they display in explorer just fine. Disabling the .ICO handling (only) seems to work, but the .ICO's are displayed half size for some reason - which has been a problem with x2 for some time.
fgagnon wrote:I merely succumbed to a mounting number of requests...
Which, if I cared to dig out the thread, amounted to 1 new user (who only asked for a Sticky) and a few older users who seemed more placidly amicable than sexually vociferous.  If Nikos "responded" to requests like that we'd have more options than sense. :wink:

Methinks you attacked the issue (which at its core simplicity was a good idea) with gusto and created a whole sub-forum with no cohesive sanity.  Heck, even the title's somewhat runaway.

And no, I'm not volunteering to clean it up - I'm just heckling from the cheap-seats :D - if it ain't my baby, I don't change the nappies.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

in the following version x2 will improve in thumbnailing in general for vista+
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:in the following version x2 will improve in thumbnailing in general for vista+
Given that nature abhors a vacuum, and I abhor nature (especially when it's covered in ivy), I take it that "the following version" was referring to some mystical future upgrade, rather than the relative paucity (except for the Russians) that was 1.8.0.13?

If I could play guitar, I'm sure it would gently weep. Image
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:If I could play guitar, I'm sure it would gently weep. Image
With every mistake we must surely be learning ;)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:With every mistake we must surely be learning
I don't know how you were diverted (<Ctrt-F6>)
you were perverted too
I don't know how you were inverted
(<NumMult>)
no one alerted you
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:
Tuxman wrote:With every mistake we must surely be learning
I don't know how you were diverted (<Ctrt-F6>)
Ctrl-O?  :D
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I don't know how someone controlled you (<Ctrl-N>)

My layouts are bleeding now...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

This convenient free extension has been updated, for those interested - with your man finally fixing a few annoying Win7 issues with the new 2.0.0.6 release, plus the ability to remove the context menu extension, etc.  I suggest using it only to selectively handle any particularly rare formats you use (all formats can be individually chosen, unlike other similar tools) as it uses an SQL cache which is a tiny bit slower than the normal Windows cache that x2 now partakes of.  However, there will always be those who might like the extended tooltip details displayed for all their images - to each their own.

(I updated the link in the first post of this thread to point to the Google Code page, so no more staring curiously at a Russian website to figure out what the frak it does. :D)
dwdallam

Post by dwdallam »

Same here. I can finally view thumbnails of my Canon RAW files, but I have a problem. The orientation is incorrect for portrait mode files. Is anyone having this problem? All my portraits are laying on their sides.
fgagnon wrote:sagethumbs is a nice discovery for all the filetypes it supports. Now I can get thumbnails and QV previews for my canon RAW photos w/o opening my photo processing software to see what's what.  :thumbup:
But I don't care for its caching as it quickly eats too much system resources. :thumbdn:

@ jumbled mess -
No more of a jumble than than the rest of the forums.  :o
... Which should be no surprise considering the source.  I merely succumbed  in to a mounting number of requests that a collection popular useful topics would be desirable -- even without removing the attendant chaff. :shrug: