Setting Colored Folder Icons in x2 (Revisited)

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Setting Colored Folder Icons in x2 (Revisited)

Post by pj »

Kilmatead wrote:... you seem to exhibit an awful lot of space-cadet tendencies. :wink:
And that would be a problem because ...?

So, besides making lots of goo-goo and foo-foo, does this provide anything useful? Can I sort or filter on folder icons within x2?

If my folder had an assistant I could filter on their name, but, if I don't get an assistant, I'd be darned if my folders do!

Anyway, perhaps to make this more than eye-candy, you could also add an InfoTip={icon filename} entry if another InfoTip line doesn't already exist. Then at least this little utility will have more than superficial usefulness... :twisted:

---------------------------
PJ in (pining for the fiords) FL
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

They're folder icons, dude, they aren't supposed to sing and dance. They exist because people like superficial bling. Superficial bling is indeed what the modern age is composed of in its DNA. Once upon a time, we started out as stardust, and had more noble ambitions and accomplished stations in life. But now we have been reduced to nothingness. Tabula rasa. The void. In the (somewhat illogical) words of Carl Sagan, "less than a pixel".

I blame the iPhone. :shrug:

So, considering how many pixels the typical layered icon contains, you're already ahead of the game, yet you don't appear to be rejoicing in your privilege. And shouldn't that be "fjords" you're pining for, and not fiords? The letter 'j' feels unloved when you confuse it for its antecedents. Sure, it too started out as nothing but a typographical flourish on an 'i' but it's worked hard to get where it is, and deserves at least a little recognition for its somewhat middling (dare I say "normal"?) position in the alphabet.

I mean, when was the last time anyone celebrated you in a video?

And did you know that the original inspiration for the "J"elly Bean was actually Turkish Delight? Where would the poor Jelly Bean be if it weren't for the Ottoman Empire and the letter J?

Even better, did you know that the word for Turkish Delight in Romanian is "rahat" which means "shit"? And why does it mean "shit"? Because when Romania was gaining independence from the Ottoman Empire, all things of Arabian origin were deprecated socially, not least the humble sweet, and thus its home in the modern language was secured. Out of sheer spite.

So there. Like I said, once upon a time we started out as startdust, but now... nothing's sacred. :cry:

Be happy with your coloured icons - it could be a lot worse. Easter will never be the same again. :D
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Like I said, could you also add an InfoTip={icon filename} entry if another InfoTip line doesn't already exist. Having a visual icon that's also sortable is very useful in Outlook, so extending that to file folders seems to be a reasonable request.

BTW, I don't own a iPhone, iPod, iFruit or iWatch, so iCandy like colored folders doesn't to a lot for me.

And finally, it's been a long time since I hung out with that little bird with the thing against dragons. Must have been the dragons that did nasty things to the missing "j"....

--------------------------
PJ in (NOT pining for iCRAP) FL
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I'm sorry, I assumed you were taking the piss (your request did not make sense originally, so my natural predisposition is to sting like a butterfly and float like a bee).

You do realise that would make the icon filename display within the mouse-over tooltip as well, alongside the created-date, etc, yes? That's what didn't make sense to me.

It should also be noted that the [.ShellClassInfo] InfoTip element is where x2 stores its <Alt+Z> comments for folders.

So the answer is "yes, but..." - just so you are aware of the caveats.

Would you want the whole path included, or truncated to merely the filespec itself? And would that include the icon-index number itself (if any), or what? I'm still a little foggy on the actual purpose. If you use an icon named "rubbish.ico" technically then you could sort/search for all folders that are thusly designated "rubbish"?

Ultimately, all you're really saving is the extra-step of applying an <Alt+Z> comment yourself then, yes?
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Kilmatead wrote:I'm sorry, I assumed you were taking the piss (your request did not make sense originally, so my natural predisposition is to sting like a butterfly and float like a bee).

You do realise that would make the icon filename display within the mouse-over tooltip as well, alongside the created-date, etc, yes? That's what didn't make sense to me.

It should also be noted that the [.ShellClassInfo] InfoTip element is where x2 stores its <Alt+Z> comments for folders.

So the answer is "yes, but..." - just so you are aware of the caveats.

Would you want the whole path included, or truncated to merely the filespec itself? And would that include the icon-index number itself (if any), or what? I'm still a little foggy on the actual purpose. If you use an icon named "rubbish.ico" technically then you could sort/search for all folders that are thusly designated "rubbish"?

Ultimately, all you're really saving is the extra-step of applying an <Alt+Z> comment yourself then, yes?
Ah, yes, Alt-Z.. :)

Let's just leave it at that and call it a day. :beer:

-----------------------------------------------
PJ in (Back from the future) FL
Shafranek

Post by Shafranek »

I use the last version of Setting Colored Folder Icons in x2 (Revisited) and can not apply icon to more than one folder.... What I do wrong?
Last edited by Shafranek on 2015 Jun 04, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

That's a limitation of using static context-menu items. The simplest solution is to use it from a toolbar-button, or you can assign the user-command in x2's "context-menu" sub-menu thingy, as that allows infinite selections.

I could have allowed for multiple instancing, but if errors happen, all hell breaks loose and it's a serious mess, so I erred on the side of caution. :shrug:
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Kilmatead wrote:... Since Kunkel is always ranting about his x2 skins and icon-sets, ...
Only because they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, is all.
Not sure if I have any multi-color high-rez icon sets... Will look.
Here are some other good icon resources:
http://www.iconarchive.com/
http://www.fatcow.com/free-icons
https://www.iconfinder.com/

Also here's a cool tool for extracting icons from the various WIndows dlls.. (I haven't used it in a while, but it was okay a few years ago).
http://www.vlsoftware.net/icons-from-file/

EDIT:
A while back I extracted 500 or so of the best icons from Windows Vista and Windows 7 put them together in a set. It is here.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=2 ... file%2czip
There is also a a library in the folder called "SHELL32b.dll."
Read on this http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8827 thread for tips about using the dll. There's also a library of my homemade icons linked to the thread.

Good luck. And remember Xerkon, always listen to your dad!