Looking Up Filenames/Extensions Online (A Utility)

A collection of especially useful xplorer² topics and ideas. New users may find it helpful to look here before searching the other forums for information. >>>>>> Please post new material in the relevant forum. (New stuff posted here will be removed.) Thanks. -fg-

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos

IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

.-.. . - / .--. . --- .--. .-.. . / .-.. --- --- -.- / ..-. --- .-. / ... --- -- . - .... .. -. --. / . .-.. ... . / - .... .- -. / --. --- --- --. .-.. . / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . .-.-.-
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

What, you expect people to actually use their imaginations? :wink:  Image
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

ROTFL about googling code, and lazy cannibals.  :o
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Kilmatead wrote:Image
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

Kilmatead wrote:нема на чему :wink:
Looks little more readable when written in Latin characters: nema na čemu ;)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Well, when given a choice, I always give credence to the older source - even if it's not really that old to begin with:
Wikipedia wrote:Serbian is the only European language with active digraphia, using both Cyrillic and Latin alphabets.  The Serbian Cyrillic alphabet was devised in 1814 by Serbian linguist Vuk Karadžić, who created the alphabet on phonemic principles.  The Latin alphabet was designed by Croatian linguist Ljudevit Gaj in 1830 and is used by the other standard forms of Serbo-Croatian.
ZoNi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by ZoNi »

Bug?

If there is & in file name, OnlineLookup will search only for part of file name BEFORE "&".
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Hmm, looks like I get to have some fun playing with escape-code tables!  Yay!   :roll:

(Essentially, any given text will need to be changed from "Mega&upload Rules" to "Mega%26upload Rules" before fed to the browser so the url isn't banjaxed by potentially reserved characters.  I actually looked at this when I was creating the programme originally, but I naively said to myself, "Self, who would ever put those kind of characters in filenames?" and decided to let it slip.  You may cast the first stone at dawn. :D)

Give me a couple of days and I'll have it fixed - thanks for the report.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Kilmatead wrote:Give me a couple of days and I'll have it fixed...
You know how it is, you meet a girl on a beach, she's on holiday, you're on sabbatical from the seminary, neither of you is looking for anything serious - then you wake up 12 years later married with 2 kids and it only seems like a few hours went by.  Where does the time go?

So it is with everything: the download link in the original post of this thread has been updated to version 2.0.4.9 which fixes this issue plus one or two other small things (changelog is at the top of the source-code, for those interested).

The Search string is now literally converted into Unicode hex-codes which your browser happily translates back into recognisable characters - no more interference from reserved URL encoding.

For example - "hello" literally becomes "%68%65%6C%6C%6F", which may look strange to us humans, but your browser will love it.

Let me know if anyone finds any other anomalies. :D

(And the score now says this script is officially 1,352 lines longer than necessary.  :wink:  I love the smell of overkill in the mornings.)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Nah, you just can't code.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:Nah, you just can't code.
Of course not!  Can't dance, neither.  I'm just a boring blue-collar hack who knows (and painfully feels, the older he gets) the real value of a day's graft.  You damn college kids are a dime-a-dozen with nothing to offer the world but your own inflated sense of entitlement.  <Insert obligatory rant about how young people know nothing of life.>

Blissfully for you, the world you live in expects nothing more from you than that, and it'll never dawn on you to aspire to be anything more.  Didn't you see the Matrix?  You lads are just disposable human batteries. :wink:

Coding is for those who eat quiche and clean windows.  Codeine is for everyone (and everything) else.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Coding is for those living in a dark cellar (check) and living off coffee (check) and cold fast food (check).

8)
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:Coding is for those living in a dark cellar (check) and living off coffee (check) and cold fast food (check).
BitXOR(Un-Checked, BitOR(Cellar, BitAND(Coffee, Fast Food))) = Don't be a stereotype, be a free man.
Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from the Underground wrote:I AM A SICK MAN.... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased. However, I know nothing at all about my disease, and do not know for certain what ails me. I don't consult a doctor for it, and never have, though I have a respect for medicine and doctors. Besides, I am extremely superstitious, sufficiently so to respect medicine, anyway (I am well-educated enough not to be superstitious, but I am superstitious). No, I refuse to consult a doctor from spite. That you probably will not understand. Well, I understand it, though. Of course, I can't explain who it is precisely that I am mortifying in this case by my spite: I am perfectly well aware that I cannot "pay out" the doctors by not consulting them; I know better than anyone that by all this I am only injuring myself and no one else. But still, if I don't consult a doctor it is from spite. My liver is bad, well -- let it get worse!

I have been going on like that for a long time -- twenty years.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

I am free to live like a stereotype. I have the choice, I just don't want to choose. The greatest freedom is the freedom to be un-free.

So I use Windows.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
jm34harvey

Post by jm34harvey »

First, I'm a newbie to this amazing tool, xplorer2.  Anyhow, about ten weeks ago, Gizmo's Freeware finally convinced me that I should try xplorer2. I immediately realized how useful and powerful it was and bought the pro edition.

I'm a retired mainframe programmer (c.1965-1999). Actually, I built a few Windows applications for public kiosks for citizens to access property tax and other public information during the last few years.

I just started exploring "Especially Useful Topics" and I'm going to install this OnlineLookup plugin.

But first, having found some like minded people on this thread and at the risk of overstepping my newbie boundaries, I'm quoting from one of my favorite authors, Walker Percy: In his 1983 book "Lost in the Cosmos, The Last Self-Help Book" he asks
Why is it possible to learn more in ten minutes about the Crab Nebula in Taurus, which is 6,000 light years away, than you presently know about yourself, even though you have been stuck with yourself all your life?
Then he describes this book as
A short history of the Cosmos, including a semiotic theory of the Self which explains why it is that man is the only alien creature, as far as we know, in the entire Cosmos.
John, Wizened Web Wizard Wannabe

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." -Albert Einstein