Discussion and support for Desktop Rules and i-DeClone

Moderator: nikos

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

beta build .41

Post by nikos »

http://www.zabkat.com/test/deskrule_setup.exe
This one has a couple of menu commands on the toolbar (right click context menu)
and can the person that asked for time constraint in date rules make sure it works? thanks :)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: beta build .41

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:...and can the person that...
If I didn't love myself, no one else would, that's for sure. "The person." Sheesh! I should have been a Calvinist, just for the historic sense of irony it would hold for my biographers. :D

And yes, preliminary tests show that the time thing works. I shall try to break it later after I raise the Huguenot hordes into further rebellion. Not a bad gig for a teddy. :wink:
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Hi Nikos,

I've just tested your new gadget and I think I've found something wrong.

If I search within Desktop rules all "indd" (Adobe InDesign documents) with a specific word in its contents such as "récentes" (recents in french) I doesn't find anything in the selected folder.
Same search, with equal arguments in Xplorer2, returns the document I'm searching for.

The same thing works great for code files or word documents in both programs.

Let me know if there's something wrong in my proceedings. If not, that could be maybe a bug, so I could get a cool gift from you (I'll buy lifetime upgrades if you finally go for it). :beer:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

do you have xplorer2 pro or ultimate?
in deskrule, are you sure you are searching for the same thing and not with some extra parameters?
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

I'm using Xplorer2 "3.0.0.2 ULT [Unicode]" x86.

Here you have some screenshots.

First, parameters and nothing found in Desktop rules. Also parameters but no search already started in X2.
Snap1.jpg
Second, final and correct result after executing x2 search.
Snap2.jpg
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I'm not sure which attribute is this "extension del archivo" you are using. Leave this constraint out and see if the text is found
another "trick" is to drag-drop the file xplorer2 has located onto the "folder" field in deskrule and click SEARCH. THat will test only this file in deskrule

ps now that I found you using localized windows, try the KIND column (however it is called on your system) and see if it finds folders. Can you show me a picture how that looks?
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

"Extensión del archivo" stands for "File extension".

For the first suggestion: Living it void, I get results but including other tipes of files (PDF) but not INDD.

Second one: I get this... (IMO, even worst).
onlyFile.jpg
Third one: I'll have to take a look in orden to find the "kind" column in spanish.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

can you email me a small file like this that manifests the problem?
as for "kind" you can search for it using KIND in the filter box because its description is still english. It will say "system.kind"
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

I've just sent you an email.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

after checking this INDD file problem, it turns out that it doesn't work because there's no text IFilter installed for this type of file. DeskRule only deals with pure text files (or filtered). xplorer2 on the other hand happily digs in anything you can throw at it (including EXE/DLL and such nonsense) which may be advantageous for some but most of the time it is waste of search time
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:xplorer2 on the other hand happily digs in anything you can throw at it
Curious. If that's the case, then why are there hundreds of threads relating to PDF iFilter voodoo and x2 search (for not all are about preview rendering)? If we don't need 'em (for x2) then why do we still need 'em? (And don't raise your "indexing" skirts, because that's just a ruse, and the last resort of a young-lady without prospects. :wink:)

For future reference that clever lad at Nirsoft has a free utility SearchFilterView which automatically lists all iFilters installed on your PC, including all the extensions they are associated with, which is nicely funky...

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

when i started work on x2 there were no filters (13 years ago!) or i was not aware of them, so it made sense to search everywhere. But the mature stance is surely that one in deskrule, no?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Actually... I would say "no". I'm assuming by "everywhere" you just mean binary-search, and it's often quite handy to search for phrases embedded within DLL's so you can figure out the precise file that's giving you grief. I'll grant you that's an unusual circumstance and wouldn't regularly apply to most office-workers, housewives, and former world-champion parkour exhibitionists, but in any "professional" programme I use (such as comparison-utilities, or really anything that can read files) when I tick the "contents" option, I always assume it will at the very least "fall back" on binary search if all else fails.

I don't think that expectation is entirely unfounded. Yes, most people will think to rely on the usual text-approach when doing searches - but exactly how many of them have ever even heard of iFilters let alone know how to find them or what to do if their associations break?

For example, just playing around with that SearchFiltersView thingy, I discovered I have filters I've never even heard of and certainly did not install wittingly (Visual Studio is a bloated back-stabbing thing these days). Obviously, such things are harmless, but if a scatologically forensic bottom-feeder like myself wasn't aware they were installed, how can you expect regular punters to think: "I know, I must need one of those iPhone thingies for this!"?

Especially in sanferno's case it's doubly confusing when his text search works fine in x2 but fails in a dedicated search programme. I too would begin to wonder why my wedding dress no longer fits like it used to. :shock:

That said, it's curious that if someone has programmes installed that can handle "Adobe InDesign documents" in the first place, it's a wonder such filters aren't installed by default. But then again, Adobe are the company that took roughly 5 years to understand how to properly code for x64 systems, so they are at the low-end of "quality" stuff anyway. :shrug:

But back on the original point... you do have to realise that these days everyone automatically assumes for example that something can search within all types of archives "out of the box". And why wouldn't they? Granted, searching within proprietary file-formats is not to be expected, but everything just short of that would be.

"But wait - you mean I can't search by content within RAR files? Why not? Programme <x> does it out of the box... it says so on their website".

So... um... no, "the mature stance" is the one that can catch everything no matter what it is (within reason). Binary included, archives (not just ZIPs!), etc. Everything.
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

I respect a lot your work Nikos, I really do. But this is also compatible with giving reason to Kilmatead this time.

Being said that, I also think that DR is still in beta, that gives the real perspective of what are we talking about. I assume DR will get better in the future. Nikos has develop x2, a remarkable piece of software in its field, so I give him credit.

Keep on with the good work!