First Impressions

Discussion and support for Desktop Rules and i-DeClone

Moderator: nikos

relaxaxolotl

First Impressions

Post by relaxaxolotl »

As a long time user of Xplorer, it is great to see decent search integration. I currently use DocFetcher to index a large number of pdfs so this is my point of comparison.

As I don't use Windows Search, the first problem is that Win 7/8 64 bit has a problem with indexing pdfs. A check of Windows Search - Advanced - File Types revealed that the pdf iFilter was not working. This needs to be fixed by installing the Adobe PDF iFilter 64 11.0.01 at http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... ftpID=5542 or alternatively the chocolatey.org package. then restart Windows Search and rebuild the index. The point is that Windows Search relies on 3rd party filters so to me this is one of the benefits of tools such as DocFetcher that use their own database.

One of the useful features of DocFetcher is that it ranks the search results by score. I can't find this is DeskRule, search results seem to be returned in no particular order of priority.

Xplorer has the Advanced Settings that allow adjustments for high dpi displays, it would help if this was also in DeskRule (edit an INI file - can't find it)

I'll keep playing but a good start.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First Impressions

Post by nikos »

thank you for your feedback

adobe and x64 are a known problem, I recommend using PDF x-change viewer instead, that will give you better search and preview and everything!

I will consider ranking for a future version but with deskrule you can narrow down your search results (e.g. searching in a smaller hierarchy, using more rules etc) so you won't see that many (irrelevant) search results to begin with

do you have problems with deskrule in high DPI? what exactly is the problem? See if this helps
www.zabkat.com/blog/high-dpi-scaling-bug-fixed.htm