deskrule v1.2 final released

Discussion and support for Desktop Rules and i-DeClone

Moderator: nikos

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

deskrule v1.2 final released

Post by nikos »

featuring the unique desktop detective mode and a host of other improvements (see changelog). This is a free upgrade for existing customers. More info and download link: http://zabkat.com/blog/desktop-detective.htm
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: deskrule v1.2 final released

Post by Kilmatead »

From what little I know of the Greek alphabet, "beta" used to follow "alpha", but I guess you just snooker the Phoenician and jump straight to omega these days. Ah, the pace of change. That said, I reckon you were more interested in your shiny new sha1/sha256 dual-signing technique to keep it in the drawer much longer.

Just like any kid on Orthodox Christmas (Julian Jan 7).

Calendery-type-stuff wrote:The time periods vary as to when countries migrated from the Julian to Gregorian calendar. Spain, Italy, and France for example switched over in 1582. Great Britain didn't switch over to the Gregorian until 1752. Other countries didn't switch over until more recent times - Greece for example was using the Julian all the way up until 1922.

Many people wonder why Russia didn't switch over to the Gregorian calendar when the rest of Europe did. The belief is that Russia did this because the calendar was introduced by a Roman Catholic pope. Russia ended up switching over to the Gregorian in 1918.
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

From Give Us Our Eleven Days | The English calendar riots of 1752
Have you have ever wondered why the tax year in Britain starts on the unlikely date of 6th April, rather than 1st January?

The official start of the year on the Julian calendar used to be Lady Day (25th March), and this was also the official start of the tax year. However the introduction of the new calendar and the loss of the eleven days in 1752 meant this date was changed to 5th April in 1753, to avoid losing 11 days of tax revenue. Another change was made to the date in 1800, as this would have been a leap year in the Julian calendar but not in the new Gregorian calendar. So again the tax year was extended and the date changed to 6th April where it remains to this day.
BTW Jan 8 2015, is the 200th anniversary of Andrew Jackson's defeat of the British in the Battle of New Orleans

RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

RightPaddock wrote:...BTW Jan 8 2015, is the 200th anniversary of Andrew Jackson's defeat of the British in the Battle of New Orleans...
Johnny Horton, The Battle of New Orleans wrote:...We fired our cannon 'til the barrel melted down
Then we grabbed an alligator and fought another round.
Filled his head with cannon balls, powdered his behind,
When we set the powder off the gator lost his mind...
To keep this on topic, can DeskRule do a text search like that?

(HeHeHeHe)

----------------------------------
PJ in (FRIGID 60°F) FL
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

pj wrote:To keep this on topic, can DeskRule do a text search like that?
While DeskRule does tend to get bogged down in Alligator entrails (and who doesn't?) its turgidly named "Desktop Detective" mode would at least parse the difference between January 8 2016 as being within a +/- 1 year margin of error for the 200th (or 201st) anniversary of the event. Though it might stumble on converting the present tense "is" to "was" if RightPaddock wasn't a year behind the rest of us (which is curious as the Aussies' timezone does the New-Years thing before the rest of us).

As it's 2016 now, that means it's the 100th anniversary of the 1916 uprising of the Irish against the English, which was far more momentous as the Brits weren't even distracted by Napoleon at the time and they still lost. Eventually. And maybe some little skirmish called World War I could be seen as a wee distraction. And not until Easter. (Which, if RightPaddock's taxes are paid up, may be pertinent.)

And, as Nikos shreds what's left of his hair in anguish that yet another of his threads has gone up in smoke, I would just like to say in my defence that RightPaddock and PJ dragged me into this life of sin. On the plus side, it's this kind of thing that makes the Zabkat Forum such a community experience. So, while he may have no hair left, Nikos can, at least, bask in the warm fuzzy feeling of fosterhood his programmes engender this holiday season. :D
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

a small update build 1202: www.zabkat.com/deskrule/deskrule_setup.exe
can you check the docking panels like preview how they drag about in the screen real quick? thanks
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

The "preview of the preview" of where the pane is going to show up is a wee bit off... if you drag it all the way to the left or right the shaded "suggestied" dock shows the combined height of the rules and results panes, but the end result is that the preview pane slots beside one or the other (usually bottom results), not both. If that makes sense. :?

Also, for some odd reason, if left undocked, the preview window can't be dismissed with its 'X' button.

And once docked, if you resize the pane (empty or not), the redraw is atrocious. :D

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

how does it compare to xplorer2, do you see problems there too?
btw the X button doesn't work because closing these panels is disabled. You can dock or autohide only
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

x2's more or less work as expected, but there's no constant-redraw (as you drag) so there's less chance of distortion. This "new" approach is aesthetically nicer than x2's, except x2's works and this one only "kind of" does. :D
nikos wrote:You can dock or autohide only
Well that's kinda silly, Jim-Bob. :roll:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I don't understand how you made that messy screenshot. What is that black background in the middle of the pane that gets the lines? That's where the results view pane should be and it will repaint to get rid of any clutter. How did you manage it?

btw if you would close the panes, how would you get them back? there is no menu, see?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:That's where the results view pane should be and it will repaint to get rid of any clutter. How did you manage it?
Well, when I grab the results-pane/preview-pane edge divider to expand the preview-pane size, it doesn't actually resize, it just drags the edge resulting in the above artifacting. :shrug: To be fair, it doesn't happen every time, but I can easily reproduce it 2 out of 5 tries. When it does happen, the preview remains small, and the artifacting remains on screen no matter what I click on. Only undocking/resizing "might" clear it again.
nikos wrote:there is no menu, see?
Could have sworn that was also one of my complaints earlier. Oh wait - it was! :D

<Grumble grumble.... tiny fonts... grumble>
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

do you hit ESC or the right mouse button perhaps?
can you show me how your whole window looks like?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

I do know how to drag stuff, oh ye of little faith.

And no that's not a "while dragging" picture, that's post-drop. I can keep searching and scrolling things and the artifacting remains until I redock or restart. Methinks you need to force an extra repaint upon the "release" event.

Like I said, it doesn't happen all the time, but it seems rather common now that I'm looking for it. :shrug:

(And if you don't fix the column auto-sizing I'm going to swim over to Cyprus and shove that scrawny X-mas tree of yours up the chimney for good! [Do houses even have chimneys in Cyprus?] And I want a menu. Many menus. Menus for everyone!)

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

And it is just me or does the taskbar icon not render correctly? The last version didn't look like a document-type. :alien: A system restart and even re-install doesn't fix it. :shrug:

Or is this considered a beta?

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

hang about, how is your listview in a window with a titlebar!? what's that sorcery? it is supposed to look different , check your manual F1