Searching *.CIDA contents

Discussion and support for Desktop Rules and i-DeClone

Moderator: nikos

sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Searching *.CIDA contents

Post by sanferno »

Hi, it might be a dumb suggestion but, after reading and testing this post, I came up to the idea of searching textual content inside a ".cida" file. For instance, us we already can do with plain ".txt".

Apologize me for my ignorance, but this does not seem to be really difficult, does it?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Searching *.CIDA contents

Post by Kilmatead »

Edit: I apologise for the overly-technical explanation in this post - I do appreciate that English is not your first language - but there's no easy way to explain why your idea is not as simple as it sounds.

CIDA files are not text, they are binary. They do not contain "filepaths" in the traditional sense of the word, they contain the actual filesystem object PIDL's themselves (in an HDROP context). If either of those two abbreviations/acronyms do not sound familiar to you, reading the Introduction to the Shell Namespace will make getting your PHD look like making popcorn. :D

So... CIDA's can't be searched in the sense that you mean, though it's probably not impossible to somehow virtualise and link a contained PIDL with the system's indexed-content and work it retrospectively - but that's probably a form of madness that even Dante couldn't conceive of and would doubtlessly make Nikos shriek with hysterical laughter. :wink:
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Searching *.CIDA contents

Post by sanferno »

Kilmatead wrote:... there's no easy way to explain why your idea is not as simple as it sounds.
K, "gracias" for being so pedagogical. :wink:

When I assumed that this could be easy, I also realized that there must be a good reason for not having this feature implemented yet. My guessings were right so, as I have said in my former post, I apologize for my easy talking-thinking. Haa... there is so much to learn, the more you get to know, the dumbest I think I am becoming :roll: