picture geolocation

Discussion and support for Desktop Rules and i-DeClone

Moderator: nikos

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

picture geolocation

Post by nikos »

does anybody shoot pics with GPS data to tell their location? This is supported in many phones and cameras that have a GPS receiver
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: picture geolocation

Post by sanferno »

I have some pictures and video shoots with GPS coordinates, but funny enought for a Geographer, I don't make use of that info. I prefer to use tags, since it's easier for me to remember "Cuba; La Havana; National Capitol Building;" than "23°08'06.3"N 82°21'34.2"W".
Last edited by sanferno on 2016 Sep 21, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

geographer, eh? I think you'll love the new deskrule 1.4!
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Cool! If it's that "geo-biased" I'll do a review of it in my website. :wink:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

is that cool or what? make sure your pictures show geotags in their properties
www.zabkat.com/test/deskrule_setup_beta.exe
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Hey! this is so cool, that way I don't need to remember coordinates!
By the way, how can I save custom locations like you did with New York?

I've always thought of adding some geo-capabilities to x2, but that may be too much. I think it might be more convenient that every user customize it according to its needs.

Just one more thing about DR. While we perform a search, the current file path is shown until some number of characters. Is it possible to show the full path? Example: "D:/folder/subfolder/file.txt" and not "D:/folder ..."
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

press F1 to see the documentation, it explains how to save custom locations
your feedback and any problems report is essential. I believe this is a killer feature that will establish deskrule as a serious product
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

nikos wrote:your feedback and any problems report is essential.
That's the jelly, the good attitude in which things should be faced :wink:

Well, I think I've found one bug using the map navigation. I tend to use more the pan (hand) to move through the map, but after a few movements it gets stuck. Zoom (+/-) (I use mouse wheel) continues to work. In order to recover pan, I must close the "Choose map coordinates" window, and launch it again, though the issue shows up again like the before.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

can you try setting this registry key to the value 11000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION

if this FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION key doesn't exist, create it first

then create a REG_DWORD value called "deskrule_64.exe" and set it to 11000
for more information see here
https://weblog.west-wind.com/posts/2011 ... IE-Version

then restart deskrule and see if it helps
another way to minimize scrolling is to use the WORLD button to zoom out first, then zoom in with minimum panning
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

nikos wrote:then create a REG_DWORD value called "deskrule_64.exe" and set it to 11000
With 11000 continues the same. After reading the article, 11001 seems to fix the problem.
nikos wrote:another way to minimize scrolling is to use the WORLD button to zoom out first, then zoom in with minimum panning
I guess you know better than me how annoying this kind of issues can be, but the workaround you suggest here it's fine for a beta, not for a fully featured version. :wink:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

sadly my hands are tied here, but if you are sure that the value 11001 fixes the problem, then it is sorted
just try it out for a while because I had many false alarms; let me know what happens

ps. what's your windows version? on win7 it seems ok even without emulation tricks but on win10 it needs the 11001

pps. here's a demo video that will hopefully get more people a little more excited about this :)
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

Well, after restarting my computer and play for a while with panning, 11001 works fine.

I would like to suggest one adjustment for the map window. I think it's highly needed a search button to show first the result of the place you are looking for then, if it's correct, we can click OK to get the "frame" or the envelope coordinates. Now, writting a city or region name, click OK and get some numbers, isn't bringing any result because you can't see the area covered (and I know I have pictures from that place).

Example of how (imho) it should work: type some place, click search, view the result (adjust it as needed), then click OK to get the coordinates and carry on with DR search.

PD: and if is not too much to ask, the option to switch between map and image view (this one is especially useful for no labeled placed).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the name in the map dialog isn't for searching but for saving the map with a name. I have it in my list to figure out how to do named searches, but at present this is unknown

good news about the 11001!
sanferno
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sanferno »

nikos wrote:the name in the map dialog isn't for searching but for saving the map with a name...
Ok, for some reason I thought it was suitable for both things. Maybe it's caused for the usage of map services :oops: