Advanced Query Syntax missing in Windows File Explorer and Word 2013 legacy Open dialog Search boxes

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Advanced Query Syntax missing in Windows File Explorer and Word 2013 legacy Open dialog Search boxes

Post by pschroeter »

I recently installed some Windows updates and now Advance Query Syntax is missing from the Search boxes in Windows File Explorer and the Word 2013 legacy Open dialog boxes I can no longer limit searches by date (create:, modified:, ect) or click and summon that little drop down calendar to use anymore. The Search box only works for text searches. The history dropdown box only shows previous search text next to a little clock icon I've never seen before. I searched for this problem online and I only found one article from January that suggested a Windows update might have done this.

I sure hope there is there a fix for this. I know I can use xplorer2, but it involves some extra steps.

The Gawds laugh at us mortals. I've never been a fan of AQS over just have a real file search tool. Just last week after seven years of using Word 2013 I figured out how to search for a week of seven days (THEpastweek:) and started getting comfortable using AQS, and now it’s disappeared.

September 23, 2020. I'm still hopeful someone can help as this has not gone away. I actually am using x2 instead of Word dialog boxes to search for files, but it takes a few extra clicks.

February 26, 2022. I should mention AQS seemed to start working in June 2021, but some things seem missing. Keywords like fore example, Date:, used to turn a different color to highlight them. Also the text box will expand with suggestions under it as I enter more search terms, but for some reason I can't click on them to open them and have to click in the file list.