Wanted - Shortcut Alternative for Windows 7 - Found

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wanted - Shortcut Alternative for Windows 7 - Found

Post by RightPaddock »

Anyone know of a 'gadget' that implements the behaviour of Windows Shortcut but via a regular file extension - eg a .blink

Why would anyone want that, you may well ask?

I use an application that stores files in a specific folder hierarchy. When one adds a file it copies the file into its folder hierarchy and renames the file.

Whilst its raison detre is to look after a particular type of data, one can add any type of file to its folders. Except shortcut files, rather than copying the shortcut file it copies the shortcut target.

I don't think the developer is going to change this behaviour because he is adamant that a shortcut and a symlink are one and the same.

I recognise that a 'blink' would probably not have the repair-ability that DLT provides to shortcuts - but I could live with that.

I also recognise that such a thing probably doesn't exist :D

pjd

ps: another old timer has cashed in his chips - Douglas Engelbart, who invented the mouse and the technology demo

BBC has a video of the demo, not sure who has the mouse, maybe SRI
Last edited by RightPaddock on 2013 Jul 05, 11:06, edited 2 times in total.
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Found- Shortcut Alternative for Windows 7

Post by RightPaddock »

Found under my nose - I put the shortcut into a 7z archive and added it to the recalcitrant application

I have to double click the 7Z and then double click the shortcut - two double clicks boo hoo :p

Why a 7z and not a zip or a rar ? Because the application does its thing with zips and rars.

BTW I used Peazip to create the 7z file. With 7zip I needed to put the shortcut into a folder and archive the folder (which would have meant three double clicks) otherwise 7zip would archive the target.

Peazip let me archive the shortcut without a wrapper - naked zipped shortcuts - dark alleys - that's enough of that line of thought the NSA/GHCQ/DGSE/MAD people are listening and watching our every move

Thanks RP

ps not that MADthis MAD
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21