How to know what a global hotkey (keyboard shortcut) does?

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

How to know what a global hotkey (keyboard shortcut) does?

Post by narayan »

Hi!

I am back after a long time! :)

I am facing a strange issue: My 0 key (in the top row, not in numpad) is intercepted by some application.

If I press that key, the currently running program (e.g. calculator, Excel, Word, ....) will simply wait, or exit the mode.
For example, if I am editing a file name in x2, and press the 0 key, x2 exits edit mode.

However, any combinations of this key work normally. For example, SHFT+0 produces ).
Other hotkey combinations like ALT+CTRL+0 etc work just fine.
Only the single key 0 does not work as intended.
The numpad 0 key works, but I prefer to use the top row rather than numpad.

I want to find out which application has hijacked this key, so that I can uninstall it or modify its preferences.
All I found is a program named "autohotkeys" http://lifehacker.com/5243959/activehot ... -available, which scans the PC and lists which hotkeys are already assigned.

But according to its author, Windows does not provide information about what program registered a particular global hotkey. Therefore this information is not available through ActiveHotkeys either.

Is that true (especially in a modern OS like Windows 7)?

In order to find what a hotkey actually does, the usual advise in the forums is that press the hotkey and see what happens. But IMO that's not a good method, as the operation may do something that you did not want. Also, in my case nothing visible happens anyway.

There must be a better way, like checking which process/thread is launched after the hotkey is pressed. (I have a vague idea that I have to check the Process Explorer. But if it is a listener, it would be already running in the background.)

IINW it would be impossible to do this manually.

Any ideas?
Also, can anyone help with a Autohotkey/Autoit/Sikuli script?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Narayan
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: How to know what a global hotkey (keyboard shortcut) doe

Post by narayan »

P.S. Just after posting that last message, I came across a possible solution:
http://www.skynergy.com/hotkeyz_portable.html

Unlike the ActiveKeys, this author has managed to find the associated application also (see left column).

It will be a few hours till I go home and try it on my home PC (where the problem is).

Hope this software will help people with similar issues....

Cheers!
Narayan
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

whatever happened to you, got trapped under a holy cow? :)
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

Hi Narayan, good to hear from you again!
Can't say I think much of your possible solution though ;)
Those "categories" just that, not the applications which define the hotkeys. And its list is rather paltry... I use a hotkey program with a few dozen keys defined, which it doesn't see at all; plus there are another dozen defined by Windows it doesn't show.

It's easy to obtain a list of Windows shortcut keys but when it comes to other programs the problem is that all Windows knows is, someone has set a keyboard hook. Only the program that set the hook knows what it will do when it is called; it could be to implement hotkeys or something else entirely.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Yeah, I realized that at office when I tried it out: It only has very few Windows-level shortcuts (not the ones used by any of the software). :(

Even if I know which software it triggers, I can at least uninstall it.
It must be something I installed recently, or something that came as a bundled software with something that I use.

So is there any way that tells me in case there is a listener?
Or something that detects which process/thread executes immediately after I press 0?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Yeah, that Skynergy thing isn't very accurate - there is another (far better) free one called Hotkey Explorer (not the "commander" one - that's the full-fat version, there's a separate download for the "explorer" version). And this one is much more accurate, tracking the registered keys back to their owner-programmes and listing them.

Since it's a bit odd for a single numerical key to be used as a hotkey, it may not actually be a proper hotkey at all, but rather a nefarious accelerator callback or something, which would be tougher for a programme to track. You do realise most normal people would just kill all running processes/startup-tasks until they found the offending culprit... just sayin'... :wink:
nikos (Wanton Offender of All World Religions) wrote:got trapped under a holy cow?
Methinks you have a few things to learn about living in the Northern Balkans... they're much more seriously grumpy than you lazy Southern-types... I do hope your wife doesn't let you out of the house after dark...
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

Kilmatead wrote:Hotkey Explorer ... is much more accurate, tracking the registered keys back to their owner-programmes and listing them.
Yes, this is very cool - I think just what narayan is looking for. It shows all the hotkeys defined by all the hotkey-defining programs on my system - exactly what I just said couldn't be done ;)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Thanks, K~!

My office firewall considers that site as "games" and blocks it, but I'll know tonight at home.

yesterday I found that Activehotkeys at least gives the active shortcuts.
I used Process Explorer to kill all known programs one by one, and kept refreshing the activehotkey display.
But the 0 hotkey would not die at all.
Finally some 30 entries remained, but they all looked like services (some cryptic names; not something that I had installed).
So I did not have the courage to kill them too.

Now I am wondering if there is some way to find whether some of these are actually spurious.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Although it doesn't sound like a hardware problem, you could try swapping out the keyboard -- at least that's quick and easy to eliminate the possibility.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I used the hotkey explorer, and found that not only the key 0, but many many more hotkeys are reserved by a single target: "Windows Explorer (taskbar)"
(Most of Win key combos are also reserved by the same application.)

I feel I am very close to a solution!

But how to edit the settings for Windows Explorer and release all these hotkeys?
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

narayan wrote:I used the hotkey explorer, and found that not only the key 0, but many many more hotkeys are reserved by a single target: "Windows Explorer (taskbar)"
(Most of Win key combos are also reserved by the same application.)

I feel I am very close to a solution!

But how to edit the settings for Windows Explorer and release all these hotkeys?
what they all are : http://www.shortcutworld.com/en/win/Win ... tml#link_3

how to change them - not : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... b896e80c3f - can be done with AHK.
I couldn't live without my Win+1-9 for task switching, much better than Alt/Tab etc

On my system hotkey_explorer program did not report that Word Web had ctrl/~ and quite a few others . When I clicked Quit it started every 'program' I have in my taskbar and bought every program I run in the tray to the foreground, and for good measure it started the magnifier - what a PITA. Thank Stars the Satans of Seattle gave me ctrl/shift/esc.

Needless to say hotkey_explorer has been consigned to the bit bucket, where it can join forces with the keyboard I dumped there a couple of months ago

The keyboard's right Alt key decided it really wanted to be the Sleep button. It took me several WTF's before I figured that one out out. If you'd asked me before that happened - how often do you use the right Alt key - I probably would have said not often. I would have been wrong, I use it all the time in MS Office to invoke quick access toolbar items. or to display ribbon shortcuts, I also use it in the alt/space+N, C, X sequences. Not even me knows what I do when I'm not looking :roll:

RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21