Best file format to save diary entries in

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Best file format to save diary entries in

Post by pschroeter »

My default file format is RTF because I mostly use Word 2013 to write diary entries. I thought RTF would be a format that should be readable by most computers for years to come. Can the same be said about the native Word DOCX format? I think it is just a compressed XML file, whatever that is. I was thinking of switching to DOCX as my native format because it gets rid of “[Compatibility Mode]” warnings in the title bar and taskbar and the files are smaller. Maybe there are other advantages too.

I imagine TXT files would be the most universal file format for a diary, but I use basic formatting, the occasional picture, and tables in my entries. I worry that 20 years in the future I'll be importing my diary in whatever word processor exists then and I won't be able to read them.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best file format to save diary entries in

Post by nikos »

I use plain TXT but RTF sounds good if you want formatting. At any rate I wouldn't worry about it, aristotle used to write in stone plates but we can still read about him 2000 years later :)
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

nikos wrote:I use plain TXT but RTF sounds good if you want formatting. At any rate I wouldn't worry about it, aristotle used to write in stone plates but we can still read about him 2000 years later :)

Do you think DOCX will stand the test of time and be around for a long, long time? That [Compatibility Mode] displayed after every document title is usually longer than the file name itself and I would like to get rid of it. I want to be able to open my diary entries in Word 2050 some day. Hopefully they will have let me use custom icons in the Ribbon by then.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

even if they are discontinued there will be a way to convert them to the format of the day