for the romantic dreamers...

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: for the romantic dreamers...

Post by Kilmatead »

And nor does it make its products fair - but that's not the point: Adblocker == Blocked Ads (+/-)... just because you don't like the ethically-vague fine-print doesn't mean it's dysfunctional. Technically, any adblocker has to parse content and make somewhat arbitrary choices about what to let through. That your man monetised that loophole is more hilarious than troublesome (just as long as it's disable-able).
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

An ad blocker - like an operating system - is a tool, not a religion. If the tool starts to require additional steps to just work as it should, I'm willing to trade it in. Why would I stick to a tool which comes with dysfunctionality by default?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

That would probably explain why you're so happy with your recent marriage to Win10, then, huh...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

Tuxman wrote:Sandboxing a software which needs to intercept the TCP process is not the smartest of your ideas.
from what I see the only impact on my system is a running process AdblockPlusEngine.exe and a plugin dll AdblockPlus32.dll inside internet explorer. All these are running as the restricted user. let him play in the "sandbox" of the restricted user as much as he wants ;)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:That would probably explain why you're so happy with your recent marriage to Win10
Windows 10 has its flaws, including a horrible performance on well-matured machines, but it has no dysfunctionality; unless you're incapable of using the system settings, that is. :shrug:
nikos wrote:from what I see the only impact on my system is a running process AdblockPlusEngine.exe and a plugin dll AdblockPlus32.dll inside internet explorer. All these are running as the restricted user.
Which is not a sandbox; also, it's obviously not really restricted. Just because someone is not "the admin", he can still do a whole mess.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Tuxman wrote:Windows 10 has its flaws, including a horrible performance on well-matured machines, but it has no dysfunctionality; unless you're incapable of using the system settings, that is. :shrug:
It's just sad that we gladly accept spyware in any form on our computers, even when disguised as operating systems..... :roll:

---------------------------------
PJ in (beautiful, sunny) FL
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you do know that most probably all your emails and telephone calls are freely intercepted on a regular basis by state sattelites and other sniffers, right? Not that I am particularly happy about it but I don't see the point of people making fuss about privacy. There is no such thing, it is only another romantic notion
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

nikos wrote:you do know that most probably all your emails and telephone calls are freely intercepted on a regular basis by state sattelites and other sniffers, right? Not that I am particularly happy about it but I don't see the point of people making fuss about privacy. There is no such thing, it is only another romantic notion
Which is why true point-to-point encryption scares the pants off the acronym people. However, when the OS itself is spying on you, even PGP and other "secure" methods are effectively bypassed. So we gaily prance along the death wards eating our chocolate eclairs...

--------------------------------
(unsigned) in (somewhere)
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

pj wrote:when the OS itself is spying on you
When "the OS" is "spying" on you, it might be because you were unwilling or incapable of using the Settings. :shrug:
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:...you were unwilling or incapable of using the Settings.
Be not so smug; that's a common fallacy. You are not able to disable all spying unless you actively prevent the OS itself from making any MS IP connections at all, which is not so simple. MS already has addmitted {anti-adblocker warning} this publicly, and points to the user agreeing to it in the EULA, so they just accept their guilt and hope people won't check it out for themselves and are (like you) happy to believe that the faux-largesse settings granted to you as an afterthought are "good enough" to pacify the suspicious.
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Kilmatead wrote:unless you actively prevent the OS itself from making any MS IP connections at all
Now this depends on what you call "spyware". Is Windows Update already spying you?
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

If Windows Update comprises 30 separate IP addresses (which doesn't sound reasonable), probably not. But that's not relevant: MS has admitted that the full extent of their "spying" is intentional, and wholly unblockable. They said so. No other way to look at it. You can untick all the settings you like, but that's superficial.

Now, Windows Update on Win10 is going to be it's own source of amusement come the day that the forced updates result in the usual MS lack of QA. The history of Windows Update shows that this is inevitable - so, in the time-honoured tradition of doomsayers everywhere, it's not a matter of "If", but "When". :shrug:

Once upon a time an OS was for using applications. Now it's all about meaningless (and distinctly non-OS) frivolities such as shiny facebook tiles and skype, and ads in start menus and god-awful unified platform nonsense. I have no doubt that Win10 is a grand OS for silly toys like phones, tablets and X-Boxes... but that's about it. The only difference between them selling you snake-oil and giving it away for free is the 12,000 words in the EULA that no one reads (much to MS's benefit). :shrug:
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

Tuxman wrote:Windows 10 has its flaws, including a horrible performance on well-matured machines,
My perception is that Win10 runs considerably snappier on my 6 year old, 8GB i5 Clarkdale than Win 7 ever did. Especially start up times, 8-10 sec from boot to desktop, < 30 seconds to run the 27 proglets I run at start up; that took at least 2-3 min on Win 7. And shutdown is also a lot faster. Mayhap by well-matured you mean a DEC Rainbow :lol:

I've become quite fond of some of its glitz - but then again I also like Office Ribbons. Initially I installed Classic Start (??) but after a couple of weeks I spent a bit of time bashing the native Start Menu into shape and binned Classic Start. Speaking of which I think I heard/read/dreamt that an upcoming release will have a bash something 'shell/scripts ??'

I gave up worrying about privacy when when HRW's Moscow agent posted Snowden's Lavabit email address on her F***book page, and Obama nuked it -- Lavabit that is, not Ms Tanya Lokshina's FB page - he probably gave her a Presidential Award for Stupidity :) Yes, I had a Lavabit account too.

RP
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

And now Ad-Blocker -- Blockers are falling afoul of the EU, as it's a form a snooping to know if you're using an Ad-Blocker in the first place. Apparently there already are Ad-Blocker-Blocker-Blockers (work out the logic yourself) in existence (according the the article), but I've never seen one that worked very well. :shrug:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

lately I suffered a lot with my IE, constantly freezing even in "simple" websites like this forum. I was considering switching to something else... then it hit me that it could be that blasted ABP plugin. Disabled it and order is restored. I find many things aren't yet working properly for the latest IE version. So it's back to advertisement browsing :)