Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Open Source == rubbish

Post by Tuxman »

Snicker:
The vulnerability will not be fixed. The indirect costs of switching to HTTPS (like lost advertisement revenue) make it a inviable solution.
Open Bullshit.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Open Source == rubbish

Post by Kilmatead »

So... exactly what are you sniggering about? (Horses snicker, people snigger - much the same way as people are hanged, pictures are hung.) Or, more precisely, what has any of this to do with open source?

Your man stated that his downloads are digitally signed - if a user (who is apparently so concerned about "security" that they want other people to handle it all for them [for free]) isn't able to take it upon themselves to accomplish one simple check on their own, it seems to me they should be fed to the MITM dogs! I have no problem with this. The world is not a safe place and nor should it be. People only learn from danger - they don't learn from ice-cream and holding hands with mummy.

For disclosure: I don't use password managers because that's like complaining when your accountant runs off to Rio with all your money. (Moral: only an idiot would trust an accountant.)

At what point did people stop taking personal responsibility for everything in their lives as they are supposed to do? Yes, even the stuff they "can't control". That's what responsibility is all about... and probably why so few people have it - or even pursue it as a noble cause -anymore. :sad:
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

I like to keep control over my stuff which is why I use KeePass - the alternative would be to put things entirely in the "cloud". I just can't remember my gazillion of passwords completely on my own.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the smart screen filter says that this website is dangerous, so that\s the end of that
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:the smart screen filter says
Huh, and when I said "they don't learn from ice-cream and holding hands with mummy" I didn't mean you, but you conveniently stepped up to the plate to prove my point. :D MS know nothing of security; you forget that their attitude is to actually design to be unreliable and bottom of the lot.

And I still don't see what the title of this thread has to do with the content. One little developer doesn't acquiesce to the demands of the entitled, and suddenly all Open Source is bad? (Or maybe Tuxman is running for political office? That would explain it. Low hanging fruit and all that. :wink:)

Or are we just extending the titular-meme (started with the 'android == rubbish' thread)? That could be fun too.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I was vaguely curious to see what tuxman was going on about but my curiosity quickly got killed with the warning :)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

If I recall correctly, you were the one who was looking into this SHA certificate deprecation stuff in the first place! (This particular thread even mentioning KeePass by name - so now you get cold-feet at an abstract warning screen from a stillborn browser?)
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

nikos wrote:I was vaguely curious to see what tuxman was going on about but my curiosity quickly got killed with the warning :)
:lol:

It's probably dangerous to "smart" screen filter as it may have called out a vulnerability with their software at some time and they don't want anyone to know so they just blacklist the entire site.....

--------------------------
PJ in (watching the skys --- Atlantic Hurricane Season: June 1st to Nov. 30th...) FL