Change Windows 10 User Name

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Change Windows 10 User Name

Post by pschroeter »

I just (yesterday) got a new computer with Windows 10. During all the flurry of welcome screens to fill out it asked me to create a user name. I gave it a two word name I now think is too long, and I didn't realize it was going to show up in the path of nearly every program I use. I concerned about changing (shortening) it mainly because of the appdata folder it contains and I'm worried about screwing up installed programs.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Change Windows 10 User Name

Post by nikos »

google to the rescue?
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pschroeter »

I tried that and the explanations were too involved and involved registry editing and it seemed to me the consequences and possibility of screwing up a brand new computer barely a few days old were just too scary for me. After getting a new computer hooked up and turning it on for the first time, it took me twenty minutes before I saw the Window 10 desktop, which I was eager to see for the first time. They make you wade through several setup screens and don't fully explain what you are doing when you set up your User account and how hard it is to change. I just wanted to shorten it from <first name > <last name> to <first name> so I don't have to stare at my full name in folder paths for the rest of my life. I'm just stuck with it I guess.

I like Windows 10, but after a few days most of the time it feels 90% like Window 8. At least I finally got my father off growing security risk Internet Explorer 10.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

last week I accidentally pressed CTRL+WIN+C and my desktop turned black and white. It took me 2-3 days rebooting and googling before I stumbled on the fekin' hidden keyboard shortcut and got my color vision back! :)
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Can you create a new user <first name> and just set that up as your primary login? You haven't used it much so moving stuff to the new account shouldn't be that difficult.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

of course, create a new user and delete the one you did by mistake