Windows XP not recognizing internal zip

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

niteowl

Post by niteowl »

After adding an internal zip drive Windows XP takes much longer to boot.  Once it starts up, the drive is not recognized.  Any ideas on what may be causing this or how I can go about fixing it?  Thanks!
niteowl
Sal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sal »

I just had a similar problem after installing a second hard drive. Windows would not detect it. The problem was that the BIOS was not recognizing the new drive. It was a Win98 machine. Hitting F12 entered the BIOS on that machine. I’m not sure which key is used for XP. I did not make any changes to the BIOS because it looked correct but I guess it somehow corrected the problem. After exiting, it detected the drive.

When a new drive is added it should show up in the BIOS even if windows does not detect it.

Hope that helps.
niteowl

Post by niteowl »

Thanks for the reply.... it turns out that I had a bad cable in my machine.  Of course I only figured this out after exhausting every other possible cause.  Iomega does provide okay (but not great) support for this problem... check http://www.iomega.com/support/documents/11151.html.  I needed to download a file for XP to recognize the drive from that site.
niteowl