one machine not seeing the other

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

WaRPiG

one machine not seeing the other

Post by WaRPiG »

I have two Windoze XP machines

the primary machine has my net connection on also another network card in there with ICS enabled so my secondary machine can axs the net, now this is where it gets wierd

my primary computer can see the other computer in network neighbourhood but the secondary computer cannot see the primary one {works fine when playing games thru network} in the network neighbourhood

I am only new to XP {used Win98SE before} so I aint sure where to start in solving my problem

any help would be appreicated
WaRPiG
Sal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sal »

I have had strange things like those that you describe happen to me.  Unfortunately, I do not have an answer on how to correct that particular problem.  But, I do know how to fix the overall problem.  
Switch to Linux!  :wink:  

I use Unix and Linux servers and they work great.  Winblows is an operating system full of serous defects with endless fixes.  When time permits I will switch all of the PC that I work with over to Linux.
movmasty

Re: one machine not seeing the other

Post by movmasty »

WaRPiG wrote:I have two Windoze XP machines

the primary machine has my net connection on also another network card in there with ICS enabled so my secondary machine can axs the net, now this is where it gets wierd

my primary computer can see the other computer in network neighbourhood but the secondary computer cannot see the primary one {works fine when playing games thru network} in the network neighbourhood

I am only new to XP {used Win98SE before} so I aint sure where to start in solving my problem

any help would be appreicated
Try to set all network settings manually, how to do is well hidden into the 'problem resolution' of the Guide, just open a network device and check 'problem resolution'.

In windows explorer, tools/options/view, check "Use simple file sharing"
(and at least we found a reason to still open it  8) )

try to disable 'Routing and Remote Access' in services.msc,
despite its name makes to think to an improved networking, it does the exact contrary....welcome in windoz baby....

@Sal, dont you think to be a little too optimistic about Linux?

IF it was the free magical tool to resolve all problems, all the world would be on linux already...
movmasty

Post by movmasty »

oops, i didnt noticed the date  :oops: