Possible to change <username> in path without reinstalling?

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

johno

Possible to change <username> in path without reinstal

Post by johno »

Hi,

I have recently installed WinXP SP2 on my new machine. During setup I input my full name instead of just my first name. I suppose that was to create the Administrator account. Now my full name shows up in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>, but I would much prefer just my first name.

I tried changing to my first name in User Accounts, but that only affects the Start Menu and Welcome Screen.

Does anyone know if it is possible to effect this change without reinstalling the OS?

Thanks.
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

Workaround

Post by RickyF »

@johno

Create a new User account with the name you want. You may have to rename the original account first so the two accounts do not conflict.

Copy all the My Documents files from old to new. Make certain to take Outlook or Outlook Express files which are buried elsewhere.

Use the new account for a while until you are sure it works okay. Once convinced that it is okay, delete the old User account or just leave it there if space is not an issue.
johno

Post by johno »

RickyF,

That was a great idea!

Of course, in hindsight it seems so obvious that creating a new account will cause the OS to create the necessary folders. Duh.

It still took a bit of work to set up my programs again, but much better than starting over completely. I'll leave the old account there for a long while before making a decision on deleting it.

Thanks again.  :o
RickyF
Silver Member
Silver Member

It is obvious ain't it

Post by RickyF »

Glad it helped.

Most ideas are obvious, they haven't occurred to us just yet.

This could lead to an incredibly long and vitriolic rant about the wrongheadedness of copyright, patent and the concept of intellectual property, but I will contain myself.

I do have an advantage over many folk in that I deal with this kind of stuff for a living so it is important for me to know how to think outside the box - the computer box that is.