Delete files in Open/Save dialogs while saving a files

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

Delete files in Open/Save dialogs while saving a files

Post by pschroeter »

I often will save a file and see earlier versions in the common dialog that I would like to delete first. The problem is that when I click on the older file to delete it, it changes the name of the newer file I an trying to save to the name of the file I am deleting. Is there a way to delete the file without changing the name in the File name field?

I have five out of the six questions on this board since May. I hope it isn't rude to dominate the board like this, I get pretty good answers here.

Merry Christmas Everyone
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I just use the same name and overwrite the old with the new.

Does your browser not permit that?
[FWIW, I use firefox]

& generally speaking the download mgr dialog is for directing the download, including naming it as you choose, but is not well-suited for doing file mgt on existing files.  :shrug:
pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

I am saving different versions of a file

Post by pschroeter »

If I were saving the newest installer for xplorer2 for example, I like to keep the the version that came before it, but delete the version that came 2 before. I keep the current and last versions of files. Its not a big deal, I'm just surprise there isn't a keyboard trick that keeps the name from changing in File Name. Sometimes I delete the file anyway, then cancel the download and start over.

I just thought of a workaround. I'll copy the name of the file I am saving to the clipboard, delete the other file, then paste the name back in. I just thought there should be a better way.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

In cases where I want to keep an archive of previous versions, I simply append the version number to the base filename before saving.

Then from time to time, as a file mgt task in x2, I go through my dnloads folders and purge versions of files I no longer wish to keep.