Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Downloads from Youtube and Vimeo fail

Post by narayan »

Hi!

My ISP offers free unlimited downloads during night. I have tried setting scheduler to download videos from Youtube and Vimeo, but this does not work.

The error message says "file does not exist" or "Access denied: Invalid user name or password".

Any idea how to set the scheduler so that this problem is avoided?
Thanks in advance!

Downloading from Vimeo is even worse: Even a non-deferred download is interrupted after a few minutes, and Vimeo dowes not allow "resume".

The failure message is always the same: "Access denied: Invalid user name or password".

Is it because Vimeo wants to ban downloads, so that visitors are forced to view the video online?

I tried IE, FireFox, FreeDownloadManager, DownThemAll. All failed.

I also kept the number of sections (streams) to 1, but no success.

(Most downloaders accelerate the download by splitting the downloads into parallel sections/streams and combining them locally. But some servers may not allow this to avoid loading.)

Any idea why that happens, and how to avoid that?
Starsurfer
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starsurfer »

there is another plugin besides downthem all, Videodownloader i think that works well with flash downloads.
don't know what the prob is in this case, but with flash some places change the reference url for the actual file, so the url valid sometime back(like when added) may not be vaild later (when dloading)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

All of those actually capture streaming IDs and pass it on to the browser's built-in downloader or to a mass-downloader. The real trouble starts only AFTER that point.

Actually I discovered a successful way, which works every time:

There is a website called www.tubeminator.com
Just place the Vimeo page's URL into its field and press download.
It first downloads the video to its own server and then allows you to convert it.

There is a kink, though (unless I am using it wrongly); Even after downloading the video to Tubeminator server, the GUI does not offer a straight way to download it to your PC. There is a Download button, but it starts converting the video to a different format. Only after that can you download the video.

My way is to preview that video instead and then use the FlashGot addon of Firefox. HTH
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

UPDATE: Just today Tubeminator GUI (and behavior) is completely changed. Can't say "for the better"-- It's different.