I have repeatedly tried to figure out what W7 Libraries

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

pschroeter
Silver Member
Silver Member

I have repeatedly tried to figure out what W7 Libraries

Post by pschroeter »

I am still using Windows XP and have repeatedly tried to figure out what Windows 7 Libraries are and this is the best that I have figured out.

If I add a folder to Windows 7 Favorites, I basically create a pointer, that if I click it, opens that single folder. If I create a Library, I create a pointer, that I can later also add other folders to. When I click the Library I see all the folders as if they were in the same folder in one window.

If I am right, why is this so wonderful, why is it better than a well organized folder hierarchy? I already have a folder named My Documents. In it I already have separate folders for Videos, Graphics, Documents and such and they have their own logical subfolders. I know some people have multiple hard drives and are on networks, but I do not.

In xplorer² couldn’t I fake libraries with Scrap panes or symlinks?

I have looked at my brothers two Windows 7 systems and the reason I think I am complaining is Libraries sure take up a lot of screen space and don’t seem to be that useful to me, and you can’t hide them without some sort of registry hack.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

as long as libraries are something a user must organize manually there is no advantage compared to a well organized traditional filesystem. I hope the fad dies out quick :)
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: I have repeatedly tried to figure out what W7 Libraries

Post by Thracx »

pschroeter wrote:...the reason I think I am complaining is Libraries sure take up a lot of screen space and don’t seem to be that useful to me, and you can’t hide them without some sort of registry hack.
While I happen to love my Win7, Libraries are indeed quite a wash, particularly for power users.

They are useful for the unfortunately-common computer user who does not have a good understanding of the filesystem.  Keep this in mind - MS is trying to make it's OSes easier to use for the masses, sometimes we just have to ignore these new things that don't apply to us (like Windows Metro ;-)

That said, here's my rundown of what they are and how they can be useful.  Again, I do NOT use them personally.  I use an unnecessarily complicated array of scripts, an ImDisk RamDisk, and a plethora of NTFS symbolic links to fill the void :twisted:

By default, Windows 7 includes a 'Library' for each of the old 'My X' folders - Audio, Video, Pictures, and Documents.  Each of these default to including your personal folder and the shared, 'Public' equivalent.

This means that when a normal user access their 'Documents' folder, it's also going to show them shared documents.  If they save stuff to the library, it goes into 'their' folder, but anything saved to the public location will also show up as being available in their library even though it's not actually saved in their personal folder.

This is all that's provided by default, and it does end up being useful for users who have difficulty navigating a complicated folder or network hierarchy.  For those with a good basic understanding - or those with a 'tech-friend' to help set things up for them - you can extend this model to your network to include other computer's shares, external hard drives, NAS devices, etc.  So while your Mom & Dad might not know the difference between their personal Music folders and HTPC's Music share, they don't need to.  They can see and search it with only basic Win7 taskbar/Explorer usage.

In short, it doesn't do much to harm the basic case since the defaults are all in place to make it seem just like the old My Documents / etc folders, but if you do have more resources to worry about, then the model can easily extend to support those seamlessly and without scaring your Mom away from the computer.

From a technology perspective, the important difference between Libraries and the other link-based redirection that we're used to, is that Libraries are an abstract, merged-directory view.  You cannot use symbolic links to achieve what they achieve - you can create a folder full of symbolic links, but that's not the same as having a single 'virtual' folder which appears to contain all the contents from those links.
-Thracx

"Man wants to know, and when he ceases to do so, he is no longer a man."
-Fridtjof Nansen
calcuttaman

Post by calcuttaman »

I just upgraded to a Win 7 machines and I miss the "My Document" tab at the top of my computer dir tree.

Now its replaced by "Libraries."  WTF  I just want a place in my dir tree where I can click once and be brought to my dir d:\My Documents.

With the Pro version is it possible to add bookmarks for something like that?

Or any other way to fake out xplorer2 to show that in the dir tree?
Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Thracx »

calcuttaman wrote:...With the Pro version is it possible to add bookmarks for something like that?...
Yes, you can add a bookmark to "%UserProfile%\Documents", or you can expand the tree and see your username - expand that, and 'Documents' should be there.  Only 1 layer deeper than you're used to.
-Thracx

"Man wants to know, and when he ceases to do so, he is no longer a man."
-Fridtjof Nansen
calcuttaman

Re:

Post by calcuttaman »

calcuttaman wrote:I just upgraded to a Win 7 machines and I miss the "My Document" tab at the top of my computer dir tree.
Now its replaced by "Libraries."  WTF  I just want a place in my dir tree where I can click once and be brought to my dir d:\My Documents.
With the Pro version is it possible to add bookmarks for something like that?
Or any other way to fake out xplorer2 to show that in the dir tree?
Well its been along time since I've visited this thread.

Just got a machine with Win 8 and the way xplorer2 displays "Libraries" seems to be the same as Win 7.

Just to see what happens in Windows File Explorer I thought I would try it. Its got some pluses going on for it. First it expands "Libraries" and shows Documents, Music, Pictures, Video's below it. I LIKE that it starts this way. I can live with the way xplorer2 does it (Have to click once on Libraries to display them all).

Here's what I wish xplorer2 did. In xplorer2 if I click on Libraries, Documents it displays just shows "My Documents" (just that). Where as in File Explorer if I click on Documents it display the contents of My Documents (Desired behavior for me)
Last edited by calcuttaman on 2013 Dec 11, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
calcuttaman

Re: Re:

Post by calcuttaman »

calcuttaman wrote:Just got a machine with Win 8 and the way xplorer2 displays "Libraries" seems to be the same as Win 7.

Haha on me. Just posted this last night and then I upgraded to Win 8.1 and voilà those libraries folders are now called "This PC." And when I click on one it shows me the full content...

And moments later I discovered this utility to add or remove folders from "This PC." http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.213
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re:

Post by MKairys »

nikos wrote:as long as libraries are something a user must organize manually there is no advantage compared to a well organized traditional filesystem. I hope the fad dies out quick :)
I entirely agree with this sentiment and had no particular use for those libraries, until I got a Windows Phone (which I love BTW) and found they are an easy way to manage synching pictures and music and such.