Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

merging 2 backup folders into 1 destination folder

Post by profess »

Hi,

I have 2 source folders with files I wish to backup and merge to a destination folder.  I would like to merge the contents of the first 2 folders into the destination.

Sources:
C:\test 1 (doc1, doc2, doc3)
C:\test 2 (doc4, doc5, doc6)

Destination
F:\test

And I would like the destination folder to end up as:

F:\test  (doc1, doc2, doc3, doc4, doc5, doc6)

---

I've just started using Puresync.  So far it seems to copy as:

F:\test\test 1 (doc1, doc2, doc3)
F:\test\test 2 (doc4, doc5, doc6)

I just have some simple backups to do so it's nothing too complicated, mainly backing up work from a usb device to pc.

Puresync runs in the background and can copy files automatically on usb insertion which seems pretty good so far. Always have to be cautious though and ensure backup is set up correctly!
--

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Osei.

- this page doesn't get loads of hits and mainly us die-hards visit :D. the more visits the merrier, but of course the main forum for x2 shouldn't be bogged down with misc stuff...
Live life...
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I would do it in two steps -- functionally as:
  • copy C:\Test 1\* > F:\test
    copy C:\Test 2\* > F:\test
But there must be an unstated reason why you are making it more complicated than it seems.
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

thanks, which is what i ended up doing.

just thought i was missing something obvious with a type of 'merge' functionality.  

i just get excited when i meet up on some new fandangled software :)
Live life...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Slightly unrelated:

From the Puresync glurb, it says
PureSync keeps all deleted or overwritten files for n days
I kinda like the idea of keeping overwritten files - does it do this automatically (filesystemwide) of its own free will, or only those files that it is responsible for moving?
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

Haven't tried the beta version 3.5 versions, just chose the stable version as I didn't want any unnecessary problems.
Live life...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

What's this world coming to when a man has to be his own guinea pig for testing stuff?  And aren't "unnecessary problems" what life is really about anyway? :wink:  For example, when you signed up to a 35 year mortgage on your house, you probably didn't count on having a 20-year long war with your neighbour (your kids break his windows, he parks on your lawn, etc).  But strangely, after two decades of warfare, you suddenly find that this series of incidents has actually come to define who you are as a person.  And, curiously, it's all because you signed on the dotted-line.  You could have been a rock musician or something and travelled the world with busty-babes and drugs - but, no, you chose a life of guerilla warfare and mental anguish - all because you thought "getting a mortgage" seemed to be the right thing to do at the time.  At least when your wife finally gives up and divorces you, she won't be looking for her half of the property.  Unexpected silver-linings in dark-clouds, etc.

Well, ultimately, the answer to my question seems to be "No" (from what I can tell) PureSync is intended to be primarily about backup tasks and is responsible only for its own demesne when it's running.  Ah well, can't have everything.