Nomawhat?

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nomawhat?

Post by kunkel321 »

Heading off to work, but just wanted to say, "Eeeek!"   $75 per year is pretty steep--way too pricey for me, at least.  I'll look into this further, but my initial reaction is, "Why not Dropbox?"
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Probably because of the redhead babe:
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nomawhat?

Post by fgagnon »

kunkel321 wrote:Heading off to work, but just wanted to say, "Eeeek!"   $75 per year is pretty steep--way too pricey for me, at least.  I'll look into this further, but my initial reaction is, "Why not Dropbox?"
I did not know what you were referring to until after I read my email from xplorer2 announcements about the official release of version 2 and of nikos partnering with Nomadesk.  While I use dropbox for free filesharing with others, the free version is limited to 2GB (plus a .5 GB bonus here or there).  A dropbox-Pro subscription is $20 per month and is limited to 100GB storage.  That is nowhere near enough to consider for backing up my entire system, which when I include retrievable archives runs to over 2TB.  

hmmm.  I've been buying a new backup drive about once a year at about $120 a pop, plus the bother of moving them around to safety to protect against loss from fire/flood/theft and then back to refresh/update contents.  

So it seems that Nomadesk is very cost-effective.  And likely offers more protection from data loss than my current system of multiple 1TB or 2TB USB drives (some connected live, others ferried back and forth to local bank safe deposit box, when not in a storage closet).
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Not to mention DropBox has suffered a recent series of goofs which lost them legitimacy in the eyes of users who care about such things.  Free users would expect that sort of thing to occur from time to time (they are, after all, just there to boost the numbers), but when it affects all accounts, the eyes of proper customers start to wander as their brains start to wonder.

(And redheads don't hurt wandering eyes any.)
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

I believe that secure online storage is a joke. I mean, yeah, remote backups are good, but not uploaded as free formats. So what if it is encrypted on their servers? The users and passwords databases are not in your backyard, it's on their turf- so they virtually have access to any user's files. The only safe way to upload especially sensitive data to remote servers is by uploading encrypted containers, which may have its downsides when it comes to synchronization, but at least you'll know for sure that it doesn't matter if they hand your data to authorities or if they simply "take a peek".

Regarding needed storage for backups- I'm a hoarder and that's my curse, but I don't keep backups of stuff I gather, instead I map everything just to know what I had in case I lose most of it. Family videos and pictures- yeah, some may consider those valuable, but they don't get to grow up to require several TBs of space unless you keep uncompressed HD videos and raw 18 MP photos, which isn't exactly best practice (though I'm not quite the right guy to talk about appropriate habits :D).

My true valuable data doesn't require more than you can fit on a 8GBs stick, even if all my files total more than 8-10 TBs. Different people, different ways, but a terabyte is still a terabyte.

Anyho (redhead included), online storage isn't suitable for long-term private data storage, as there is no guarantee that the companies offering these services will still be around in 5 years (even less so in 10-20 years). Also they are not cost effective, if you consider the service fee over many years. And they reserve the right to apply the Fair Use Policy whenever they think it's right to do so.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

IneedHelp wrote:I believe that secure online storage is a joke.
as do I.  :o
Note that I spoke of protecting against data loss and avoided the "secure" word in my discussion.   ;)
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

IneedHelp wrote:My true valuable data doesn't require more than you can fit on a 8GBs stick
I love getting little reminders about just how just out of step with the rest of the people in this world I actually am.  For (and I know people might find it inconceivable) but I actually have 0 bytes of valuable data.  None.  I keep no "family photos", I have no legal documents (not even a birth-cert), no bank accounts, no personal letters, no nothing.

To be sure, I have "stuff" - a few GB's worth of it - but just thinking about it now, absolutely none of it is valuable as I have every confidence in my ability to either recreate anything lost, or simply live without it not having a second thought.

Once upon a time men used to cultivate such philosophies as a value unto themselves - now, it just makes me a definite non-target audience for this silly century of yours.

(Yes, off topic as usual, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.  It must be strange that so many people in the western world live with such a fear of loss every minute of their lives.  No doubt Narayan's cultural history would have a word for me.  Lord knows no one else but them would still value such a freedom today.)
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

Kilmatead wrote:I keep no "family photos", I have no legal documents (not even a birth-cert), no bank accounts, no personal letters, no nothing.
The perfect assassin!
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

You weren't supposed t mention that!

Now he'll HAVE to kill you! Ciao...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

just something you can see if you like (free trial) which we recommend (aka get beer money :))
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

Folks do raise some good points, 'cost effectiveness,' 'redheads,' and such.  Still it bugs me.  Feels like I'll be missing out on some great new version of x2 if I don't try the subscription thing.  If I try the free-trial, then I'll become dependent on the services and wind up paying the $75 per year--which I really can't afford.   Oh well....  I guess that's progress.

Nikos, are there any fundamental changes in the functioning of x2, itself?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Umm... did you perhaps misplace your brain this morning when you got out of bed today, Kunk?  It's an advertising partner - not related to x2 in any way - the free trial is for Nomadesk's service, nothing to do with any version of x2, other than as a shell extension for Windows in general which works in all file managers.

I sure hope you're just pretending to be... well, whatever you're pretending to be... sarcastic? ...because you can't be serious.

In case you are serious, I have some swamp-land that I'd be willing to sell you cheap, as you sound like an intelligent guy who's just looking for an opportunity to invest in the future for yourself and your cat.  And I could find a few semi-used Russian-Mail-Order-Brides (with red hair, of course) to throw in and seal the deal.  They might need Visa's though - but I suppose we could sneak them over the border just like the good old days when Mexican wives were all the rage. :shrug:  And trust me, it's a lot easier to find a Russian with red hair than the dark-haired Mexican variety.  Similar tempers in the long run though.  For a few extra Peso's you could upscale to these new Stepford-Style Norwegian chicks that are beginning to flood the market - they even wash windows and darn socks (which is a godsend when winter comes).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

:D
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Oh, yeah, the good old "let's place our stuff in the cloud and moan about others being able to see it then" discussion. Seriously, there is secure online space. TrueCrypt before uploading - done. That said, you should never place sensitive data online anyway. There must be a reason evil Google has inofficially announces its own SkyDrive clone.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
kunkel321
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kunkel321 »

:P

Hey the email was titled,  "ANN: xplorer2 v2.0 released"

and contained the text, "...After reviewing the solutions on the market we've decided to partner with Nomadesk...."

It even says it's an extension of x2, and is signed by Nikos himself!

Even a verbose tow-toed sloth can see this reads as, "Update."

(grumble grumble, snort snort)

EDIT:  btw, I ended up going with the Canadian model...  She's not readheaded, but she does have a fiery temper...