Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Where / How did you learn to program

Post by profess »

Hi Everyone,

I usually post over in the Computers & Internet section with questions that aren't directly related to X2, but thought I would post here so more people will see it.

My Question; Where / How did everyone learn to program?  Did you all learn at College / Uni, Work or Just for fun?  Would be good to give a little info about it also.

I'll start - the various small amount of commands I know are self taught and through reading small articles here and there and LOTS OF trial and error.

Regards to all,

Osei.

[thanks fgagnon for the 'shadowing' idea. at least others will see it this way]
Last edited by profess on 2011 Oct 05, 02:30, edited 1 time in total.
Live life...
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

And I'll move the thread back there, but leave its 'shadow' behind so more folks encounter it ... after I answer your query for myself:

First  in University,
followed by decades at work, and
then expanded a bit as a hobby while working.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

Thracx
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Thracx »

I started programming mainly as a hobby while in High School and early in college - scripting stuff in my quest to customize Windows 98 or automate tasks.  I will label Gaming as the gateway drug, as I grew up on NES and an IBM 80386.

Half way through college, I decided that my comparative advantage was indeed to be a Software Engineer.  However, I'm still pretty sure I learned a lot more fiddling around with gcc and Visual Studio in my spare time than I did through any official academic channel.  And even then, you don't really get good until you start working in the field and I was no different.

I think it's about time for Nikos to post a new About Me article - that page is more than a decade old now!
-Thracx

"Man wants to know, and when he ceases to do so, he is no longer a man."
-Fridtjof Nansen
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

I started programming manly, ehm, mainly as a hobby, too. My first "application" was a batch script that shut down Windows. I was experimenting with batch scripts for another while until I found out how I can use them for more useful tasks (my backup job is a batch script containing rsync calls right now); afterwards, I started with some more serious things like Visual Basic, macro scripting and stuff.

Today, I'm more into web scripting but still do some offline things every now and then ... mainly in C++ and mIRC Scripting Language.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:Today, I'm more into web scripting...
Be not so modest, we knew you were responsible for this the whole time...
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

Nah, the mentioned trojan has bugs and is made by copy&paste according to the decryptors. I would make it better.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
RightPaddock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RightPaddock »

From Dutch Mary Travis look alike in the applied maths department of a British industrial research establishment in the mid 60's - Ferranti Sirius Autocoder.  

All down hill from there - Fortran on CDC, PL/1 & Assembler on 360, Algol-68 on Burroughs, C & asm on Digital, Interdata & Pyramid, Ada on Digital, Modula-2 on Vax.  Smalltalk on Apple, C++ on Warp.

That'll do  
Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) version 1809 - Xplorer2 version: Pro 2.5.0.4 [Unicode] x64 2014-06-21