Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Testing software

Post by profess »

Hi everyone,

I would like a way to install software without messing with the system.

I usually go on some mad install spree, downloading freeware apps and trying different ones out.  Of all the software I install I end up binning most of them.

I would like to try out software on the PC without messing with it in any way.  

Thanks in advance.

Osei
Live life...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

All together now kids, can you spell v-i-t-u-a-l-i-s-a-t-i-o-n?  Or Image-Backups?  There are plenty of free programmes that do those things.  Or how about just going on a shopping spree on the high-street instead?  Retail therapy works wonders when you mess up everything at home.  Never mind the dust in the house, or the scum on the toilet ring, a little dirt is good for our immune systems and our antiseptic children.  Just put a vase over the hole in the floor, fill it with flowers, and bob's your uncle. :shrug:
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

But can you spell virtualisation? :)

Yes I was looking into that. Was messing with Qemu earlier.

I've used Deep Freeze ages ago, and I've used Drive Image xml. I'm just trying to see if there are other ways to do what I'm looking for.

I may backup, format and get the PC to a nice state and then do something like this.

Thanks.
Live life...
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

profess wrote:But can you spell virtualisation?
Apparently not.  :oops:  :D

Whilst things like Revo-Uninstaller are often mentioned as being effective for this sort of thing, I personally wouldn't recommend it (as part of a general philosophy that says anything "lots of people like" is inevitably a bad idea [except pizza]), for these tools usually do more damage than good in the wrong hands.

By the way, that's referring to uninstalling - not spelling.  I don't know how good Revo might be at spelling, so it could perhaps be of some use there.  Though I doubt it.

Oh look... a donkey!  Let's train it to urinate only on azaleas in bloom!

(A little misdirection goes a long way on Fridays, in case you didn't notice... though not so far with donkeys as they know Winter better than the rest of us, being the butt-end of human appreciation for the last few thousand years, and they wouldn't be impressed with any bloomin' azaleas... unlike humans, who are easily distracted by nice shiny-clean computery things...)
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

is creating a vhd virtual hard disk enough or must i install a full OS?

(right now i'm installing winxp 32bit but thought i'd ask as it occurred it may be an option).  

if not, what is a vhd used for?  you could just create some hd space and use that, no?
Live life...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

Had a look at the article and proves I'm following the right direction.

I've installed a couple OS's, just don't like the feeling of not getting the FULL potential from the machine.

I think I liked the idea, and previously used Deep Freeze, whereby once you reboot your machine it returns to it's 'frozen' state, ie your perfect installation.  You load the OS and set to reboot in a 'thawed' state, for you to install apps etc, and then reboot in a 'frozen' state again.

Still looking...

Thanks so far.
Live life...
IneedHelp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IneedHelp »

The most convenient ways for me to test software is by using virtual computers (VirtualBox and VMware Workstation) or Sandboxie, which does a fine job when it comes to sandboxing.

Sandboxie's best if you want to reset trials to commercial software because it allows applications to interact with the system at different levels. For testing I recommend VMware Workstation with the same guest OS as your host OS (that makes tests more relevant).
profess
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by profess »

and in such apps there are things such as 'snapshots', right.

so BASICALLY a snapshot of my system is really what i want, install whatever i want.  once i'm finished i want to return to that state.

is there software that can do this?

or basically is it just using Image Backups that would achieve this?

Thanks
Live life...