ebooks anyone?

Products and tips

Moderator: Site Mods

Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: ebooks anyone?

Post by Gary M. Mugford »

dunno wrote:Bought a Kobo Glo, I really like its weightlessness and the backlit screen, fantastic invention that, great for night reading.
I succeeded in grabbing hundreds of eBooks out of thin air which I then sideloaded via Calibre, but be warned, if OCD strikes you'll spend hours correcting the shyte formatting of those "free" ebooks.

I use Sigil to edit text/layout, and Calibre to convert and reformat text in ebooks.
Dunno,

Check out the internal book editing inside of calibre. Sigil has now been frozen while Calbre's updates these days are very editor-centric. I'm not a regular user since most of my stuff exists as either docs, docxs or pdfs. But, I've brought them into the editor and added Kindle specific features with ease. I personally wished Kovid would spend some time documenting preferences each of us have, but he's made it apparent that that won't happen any time soon. Sigh. But the team working at improving calibre are very, very good. And they are right in your wheelhouse working away.

Enjoy. GM
Gary M. Mugford
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Gary M. Mugford »

nikos wrote:how's the batterly life? You can't beat kindle on that respect
Nikos,

Actually, the battery life is similar. The battery tests are difficult to even out. Boih claim nearly a month with 'regular' use. But that basically boils down to an hour to 90 minutes of casual reading during the day time. In real life, I read at night when that backlighting REALLY comes in handy and more than an hour daily {g}.

I got my Mom the first Kobo on the day it debuted here in Canada, where Kobo originated. Mom didn't switch ti Kindle until her fourth ereader. All in all, she enjoyed the heavy emphasis on socialization within the kobo community. Me, I hated it. Switched to Kindle and have been happy ever since. Although it WOULD be bnice if SOMEONE in the family would get me a Voyage for my birthday (hinit, hint, hint).

Battery life is ALWAYS fudged. Like mileage per gallon of gas, or would that be kilometres per litre over in your neck of the woods?

Both are good products. I put my money on Kindle. But I DO have Kobo-maniacs in the extended family. Either one will do the job.

GM
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i think i charge the kindle (the old one, not fire) about once a month as advertised. I am not doing much reading but it's definitely more than an hour overall. I usually read before i go to bed, so it usually takes 15-30 minutes each day, plus any odd insomniac bouts :)
dunno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dunno »

Gary M. Mugford wrote:Check out the internal book editing inside of calibre.
I prefer Sigil's method for editing text and layout, more logical to my mind.

PDf's on a small screen is a terrible experience, I have given up on trying to reformat a PDF to suit a 6inch reader.

Battery life, about two weeks @ a hour a night with backlight.

Insomniac, nope, reading in bed at night is soporific, great sleeping tablet.