Usability suggestion...

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Rhino

Post by Rhino »

Hi Nikos,
basically all this fuss is about F5, a key which you don't really need
Please don't take this the wrong way but I think the Miscrosoft UI design team would disagree with that. The F keys are there for the most common functions used by a user, F1 to get help, F2 for rename, etc and refreshing was identified as a common task and hence assigned F5.

Just because you don't really need it doesn't mean that others don't too.
if you really want it changed now you can use resource hacker and edit the (keyboard) accelerator table
True but that option is only open for those users who are confident or bothered enough to do it.

As I said before for a product that is supposed to be a superset of Windows Explorer it should at least provide keyboard compatability "out-of-the-box" if it wants to succeed.

Do you have a timeframe for customisable accelerators?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i wasn't talking about my personal preferences
i was saying that x2 refreshes properly on its own accord, so you don't need to use that key -- or else let me know!

i can't say when keyboard customization will arrive
i have no code that does this
so i'll either have to write my own or wait till i get rich to buy something off a shelf :)
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

What are you writing in? C++/MFC? WTL?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

wtl7
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

Bummer, looks like you're going to have to roll your own.

Fortunately I've patched mine via Vis Studio so F5 is no longer a problem for me :)
pmike

PLEEEEEEEEESE!!!! don't get rid of F5 copy!

Post by pmike »

PLEEEEEEEEESE!!!! don't get rid of the F5 "copy" key and replace it with a silly "refresh" button.

x2 does a really good job of refreshing itself.

...besides...my fingers are now thoroughly trained and instructed in the zen of F5-copy. :D
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

1) "custom key combinations will come at some stage"
2) "now you can use resource hacker and edit the (keyboard) accelerator table"

it's that simple.

3) if there is a problem in 1&2, I can share exe (or patch) for current and upcoming versions with:
menu: File Edit View Mark Go Bookmarks Tools Windows Help
keys:
F1 - refresh (special version with F5 :)
Ctr~ - quick bookmark
CtrShift~ - set quick bookmark
Accelerators:
Alt+A,A = Menu/Bookmarks/Add
Alt+O,O = Menu/Tools/Options
Alt+T = Menu/Go To

Feel better now? :) Any other "special wishes"?
danielrod

Post by danielrod »

Ok, "Favorites" is rather cheesy, I admit. Bookmarks works for me. It's what Mozilla uses :)

On the topic of standards...I tested Total Commander, Servant Salamander, and Krusader (on Linux) before. As cheered as those are by their followers, I found them difficult to master quickly and painlessly.

My discovery of xplorer2 resulted from my search for more familiar interfaces/commands than those used in the above.

I think xplorer2 stands very strong today, and is hands down easier & funner to use than other dual-pane managers.

But in the long run, I believe standardizing the menus will do more good than harm. Especially if you consider that new users are more likely to come from a Windows Explorer world than from a Total Commander (or other likeminded dual-pane file managers) one.

Thanks,

Daniel
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

Customizable menu/hotkeys would solve it all (when/if it will see the light of day. Just a set of menu items with few pre-defined schemes and full freedom to create your own.) All the (menu) items better be close to "common" stuff, though.
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

chp, I just discovered the freeware AutotHotkey

http://www.autohotkey.com/download/AutoHotkey1021.exe

and I'm completely blown away of its possibilities.

If you're looking for remapping for now this might help you.

BRX
chp
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chp »

BRX
I'm not the one who suffers from key shortcuts in x2 ;)
But anyway, thank you for pointing to this nice freeware. I've tried http://www.hotkeymaster.com/interface.html years back, and now if there's a need I'll try this one (hope it's stable and not memory hog)