A lost feature or a bug?

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

teXmeX

A lost feature or a bug?

Post by teXmeX »

Hi there, I've been using xplorer2 since it got out and was annoyed by one thing.
When you mark several, let's say mp3s in Windows Explorer and hit return or ENTER winamp will add all those files to the playlist. But when you do the same in xplorer2 only the first file in the marked list will play up and the others won't be added to the playlist.
So I'm wondering if that is a missing feature or a bug that you haven't noticed.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is sort of by design
to open all files, right-click and pick "open"
einstein145

Post by einstein145 »

the problem with doing that is
a) you have to use the mouse, and I think teXmeX is looking for a comfortable way to do it, IE thru the use of the keyboard
b) if you have winamp set to enqueue as default action, you usually want the mp3s to be added to end of the list, and not clearing the list, as it does with "open". But then again, if you do right-click you can just choose "enqueue with winamp".

Nonetheless, I would also appreciate this issue resolved, so that marking several files and hitting enter will result in the default action for all files, not just the one marked "active".
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this design is meant to protect from accidents
you have a 1000 files selected and then you hit enter by mistake...
anyway, context menu is also keyboard-accessible with shift+f10
(some keyboards have a special context menu key too)
mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mimeryme »

nikos, could that feature be extended to the editors (accessed via F3/F4). There were times when I accidentally opened many files in an editor.

An alternative to the right-click/menu key could be Ctrl+Enter to open all selected files.  I think it's a slightly more assertive keystroke.

Another alternative might be to do what Outlook does when it detects 5 or more files about to be opened (either by pressing Enter or right-click>open):  a dialog warns that opening up many items can take some time and queries are you sure you would like to open x items?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

but the x2 editor already warns you!
if you try to open more than 10 files you'll get a messagebox for confirmation
mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mimeryme »

Ah so it does.  Oops.  I must be thinking of some other instance.  Sorry 'bout that.