4 bugs and few suggestions

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

pila
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

4 bugs and few suggestions

Post by pila »

Here are 4 bugs and few suggestions for improvements. I use Windows XP SP2 and x2 Pro 1.1.0.3 [Unicode]

- BUG: path autocompletition does not work. If the field is empty, F1 will place "snap\" in it and there is nothing called snap\ on my computer. If anything else is typed in, F1 does nothing

- BUG: if I try to copy a file using x2 with local menu (app key) and then Send To, at the end of the copy, I get a warning window stating approximately (I get it in Croatian): (Title) Windows Explorer, (content): The target can not handle this document type. Copy is successful, folders and disks are irrelevant. Windows Explorer does not produce the same error in the same situation.

- BUG: I can not invoke x2 with several paths as arguments to open it with several tabs at once (similar like I can open 2 paths in dual pane mode). It should accept all paths and open a tab for each of them.

- BUG: x2 does not show a preview (Ctrl+Q) of JPG pictures whose size is larger than 2 MB

- improvement: I prefer to watch my files as a List. But for some items, e.g. pictures, I desperately need some information I can only see in Details (Creation Date, Camera model and size in pixels). Regular Windows explorer shows them. x2 should also show them at the beginning of the status line, where it says Ready. For pics, it would be just perfect if a user could define somewhere desired PPI settings and print size in default units (cm/in) would be included with other pic information. For MP3, it should obviously show length, bit rate and algorithm (VBR, CBR).

- improvement: preview (Ctrl+Q) for Zip/Rar... could display a list of files in the archive

- improvement: when only two tabs exist, there should be a command and shortkey to transform these two tabs into the dual pane view (each with one of the directories), and vice versa.

- Scrap container could remember the last Views setting or have own ability to select them separately from the main window settings.

Regards
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Some comments (nikos will no doubt have the last word):

* on BUG1 > Path autocompletion works for me. -- two ways:
-  uparrow - looks in history list for next match
-  F1 -  pulls up subdirectories of current folder
{If snap\ is coming up for you with F1, then your current folder is likely the x2 installation directory, & snap\ is where the startup guide graphics are}

* on BUG2 > using send to for copy is unusual, but you are right.  That's a nuisance that should be corrected.

* on BUG3 > I would disagree that inability to invoke tabs from the command line is a BUG.  I would describe it as a feature that has yet to be implemented.  {Nothing's broken here & no claims that I am aware of are made for this operation.}

* on BUG4 > By design, the Quick Previewer will not display pic files (jpg &such) larger than the user defined maximum size for Thumbnails
(on menu: Tools | Options... | General  )
but set to zero will remove the restriction.

+ on improv1 > I like that idea

+ on improv2 > You already get this with infotips turned on & size less than settable infotip maxlimit.

+ on improv3 >  I like the idea of making two tabs become two panes.
(I guess that would imply the inactive tab would open in the inactive pane.) But I don't follow what you mean by 'vice-versa'.

+ on improv4 >  But it does remember the last views setting for scraps -- but  only after the last open scrap is closed, or if you invoke Save settings now from the main x2 window.  That action should maybe be added to the scrappane Action menu for convenience.  So I agree that there is room for improvement here.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

your autocompletion doesn't work i suspect because you have turned on GIOPT_NOSETCURDIR. In such a case only full paths can be completed (starting with c:\... etc)

send to is a windows xp bug (also occurs from all open/save system dialogs)

for details according to filetype, you can use either fixed folder settings (actions menu) or for more flexibility define column sets (Customize menu) and activate them whenever necessary. You may need to grab a few column extensions as described in the FAQ for music and image files
pila
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pila »

on BUG 1) Yes, I have used GIOPT_NOSETCURDIR so I can delete folders in the Folders pane on XP (which was not needed on W98). OK, you got it, but I do not see a reason for such behaviour.

on BUG 3) Yes, you are actually right. Apologies for calling it wrong :) Still, would like this improvement

on BUG 4) My apologies, you are right. I was not able to make that connection until you pointed it out.

impro 2) I do not use tool tips since I tend to use keyboard most of the time and not mouse. Your answer can be seen as a workaround, but does not remove the need for a solution as I described it.

impro 3) convert two tabs to two panes: vice-versa: convert two panes to the two tabs in signle pane (using the same shortcut key)

impro 4) I am sorry to say I amnot able to save setting now and save the view I last used in the last closed Scrap frame.

Regarding my other post on details according to the filetype (I need it for pictures), I use only List, since I have too many files to use any other view. Just imagine: each photo session of mine tends to produce at least 100 pictures per item. Add to that articles I am writing, then documentation for them, press releases... I have to fight with several hunders of files per folder constantly :) I really like much more the display of basic information at the status line as regular Windows explorer does, but in a bit verbose form.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

in a future version you'll be able to create custom status bar panes that can show any column information