Even more new features?

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Before it gets to be a one-man-show by narayan I have to come back with some questions/suggestions of my own. ;-)

They're not all new, but I didn't see you replying to them, Nikos.

First I love the scrap window from the alpha. I have no idea if you're going to do that anyway or if it's implementable. But it would be great, if it could be a combined scrap/search window, so you can make multiple searches and "add up* the search results for file-handling.

Also it would be great if there could be better filemanaging options, specifically direct copy/move via the f5/f6 functions, not only by clipboard. Again I've no idea how to implement. I could imagine that only the active file pane in the background is the receiving target (and not vice versa).

Then it would be nice to have not only the quick&dirty dir compare with Ctrl-F9 but also a quick file compare (compare single selected files in either pane). The result "file identical" or "file differ" would be completely sufficient. (That's one of the few features of WC I like to have in 2Ex/x2 as well).

Another quick tool I use often is the internal file viewer (the editor as well). I understand it's based on some richedit code so that's the reason it can read rtfs?

I would be pretty cool if the internal viewer could manage html as well (just stripping the codes so the pure text is shown). Or the contents of zips as text dir. That's something I know from the WinFile Shell extension FmView.

Last but not least there's still the tree pane. :-) I still couldn't follow you why it's desirable to be able to change into a dir with one mouseclick not two, on the other hand still need to enter a dir with, well, enter. What I like about 2Ex is it's keyboard friendly design. And having to use enter to browse through the tree pane for each dir isn't it. In the big suggestion thread I already mentioned that most applications (even the dreaded Windows Explorer ;-)) use a short delay before changing into a directory, so you can move the cursor along the tree without problem. If that's implemented, what's still your point (apart from any subjective matters of course ;-))?

BRX
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

a combined scrap/search window, so you can make multiple searches and "add up* the search results for file-handling.
that would complicate things but for sure you'll be able to drag-drop from the find results onto any scrap frame, hence eventually achieving what a dual search/scrap combo would.

All these multi-folder panes will support a wide range of operations including F5/F6. The only thing that they'll lack will be synchronization since it would be dubious (what to compare against? -- there could be dozens of x2 windows open)
compare single selected files in either pane
that's a good idea. In fact I had another one that would generalize this: Compare only the current selection, which could be from 1 to all files. The same could go for other operations like [Ctrl+G] search in files etc. I'd better write this one down!
having to use enter to browse through the tree pane for each dir isn't it.
Et tu Brute?
I had you registered as hard-core, now i'll have to consider reclassification :)
I never liked the singe click option either, it was double-click originally. But then I received loads of emails from mouse-people compaining about all the damage this extra click is doing to their delicate fingernails --- and I caved in to get them off my case :shocked: I just don't see the point.

Especially for the keyboard, I consider it a definite bad thing, since you'd have to keep yourself pumped up pressing arrow keys quickly getting from A to B, to avoid misfires and unnecessary opening of folders & general timewasting.

But I have to admit that again there is some considerable user pressure for me to introduce this feature, so you're not alone there. In x2 there already are "undocumented" registry settings that control the single/double click activation for tree folders, I suppose I could add another one for the keyboard auto-activation. But I'm a grumpy old man and I'll certainly have this turned off on my system :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so there you have it, express service for user satisfaction. The latest 0.0.0.10 alpha comes with hands-free tree activation as requested.

This option should come as default, but just in case make sure your binTreeOptions registry value is set to 3. It is made up of the sum of any of the following "undocumented" tree options:

1 FTCOPT_SINGLECLICKACTIVATE
2 FTCOPT_HOVEREXPAND
4 FTCOPT_DISABLEAUTOREFRESH
8 FTCOPT_FOCUSTOACTIVEVIEW

HKCU\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\xplorer2\MainFrame Settings\binTreeOptions

Give it a shot, and if it works ok i'll add it in 2x too. But I challenge you to manage to rename a folder in the tree without using the mouse now  :D
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

a combined scrap/search window, so you can make multiple searches and "add up* the search results for file-handling.
that would complicate things but for sure you'll be able to drag-drop from the find results onto any scrap frame, hence eventually achieving what a dual search/scrap combo would.
Will do of course. I reckoned it would be difficult.
All these multi-folder panes will support a wide range of operations including F5/F6.
Sounds so cool! :-)
The only thing that they'll lack will be synchronization since it would be dubious (what to compare against? -- there could be dozens of x2 windows open)
Yeah right. I don't care about synchronizing anyway. There are enough workarounds if needed.
compare single selected files in either pane
that's a good idea. In fact I had another one that would generalize this: Compare only the current selection, which could be from 1 to all files. The same could go for other operations like [Ctrl+G] search in files etc. I'd better write this one down!
Great! Though I don't know how you'll handle bytewise comparison for several selected files at the same time. But I'm curious.
having to use enter to browse through the tree pane for each dir isn't it.
I had you registered as hard-core, now i'll have to consider reclassification :)
If it's printable let me know :-)
I never liked the singe click option either, it was double-click originally. But then I received loads of emails from mouse-people compaining about all the damage this extra click is doing to their delicate fingernails --- and I caved in to get them off my case :shocked: I just don't see the point.
Actually kind of agree. If you have to move the mouse anyway and click ... (Though as "keyboarder" you have to leave the arrow key to press enter, so that's different ;-))
Especially for the keyboard, I consider it a definite bad thing, since you'd have to keep yourself pumped up pressing arrow keys quickly getting from A to B, to avoid misfires and unnecessary opening of folders & general timewasting.
Naah, I could dispute that, but I won't since you already gave in to force. I will try out the new x2 (and renaming a folder) asap :-) (Actually I did all my folder renaming in the folder panes so far. I never used the tree pane because of ... you know ;-)).

And for your great service I promise to try to come up with further suggestions for improvement you eventually might like.

By the way, you didn't mention anything about possible internal viewer enhancements?

BRX
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Nikos, here's a quick one:

Why don't you link the F3 viewer with the thumbnailoption/viewer to use it as quick & dirty Imageviewer?

Isn't that possible?

BTW,
But I challenge you to manage to rename a folder in the tree without using the mouse now
I didn't encounter problems. I don't get the challenge.

(The tree-browsing works like it's supposed to and a charm. Good job!)

BRX
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

viewer-wise i'm thinking about a generic active-X viewer, similar to the thumbnail but managing more documents (e.g. office stuff with full functionality and whatever else supplies an activeX viewer). There will be one of these open for all files, so it will work like the thumbnail but will have more capabilities. Even plain text will be on. But this is just an idea which is a long way off

BTW, for keyboard renaming i meant using one hand  ;)