Feature request: Allow F2 to highlight the ENTIRE filename.

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

danielrod

Feature request: Allow F2 to highlight the ENTIRE filename.

Post by danielrod »

When you select a file and hit F2, only the base filename (NOT including the extension) is selected.  

I realize this is supposed to be a productivity enhancement, but it is actually very unbeneficial to me since I find myself wanting to copy entire filenames (including extension) all the time.

I would like to kindly request that an option be provided to toggle between the two behaviors.  I.e. Allow the user to choose whether F2 selects only the basename or the entire filename.

Thank you,

Daniel
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Try Ctrl+F2 as a workaround.

You get a dialog box, but, other than pressing Ctrl, it doesn't cost any extra keystrokes.
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Feature request: Allow F2 to highlight the ENTIRE filena

Post by snakebyte »

danielrod wrote: I realize this is supposed to be a productivity enhancement, but it is actually very unbeneficial to me since I find myself wanting to copy entire filenames (including extension) all the time.
In list view, have you tried Ctrl+P on the selected file? This is equalent to F2 + (Ctrl+C) and you get the file extension as well. This behaviour will be bit different in detail view. And in case you are looking for complete file path, try out Alt+C on the selected file.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
danielrod

Post by danielrod »

Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately, I'm using detail view for all my work :(  

Regards,

Daniel
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Is it difficult to code it that a second pressing F2 extends the selection to highlight the complete filename?

I'd like that very much to have both.

And to bring up a little wish for F2 renaming again. I'd really like that using the left/right arrow after using F2 "eats the selection only", so the cursor stays before the dot when using the right arrow (and preferably jumps to the begin of the file when using the left arrow).

As it is now I always have to hit F2/left arrow/right arrow to get to this point (for instance for renaming of sequence numbers)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

to hilite all the name i use shift+end
Whitman

Post by Whitman »

Further to the rename highlight issue...

I like the option of highlighting up to the last . when renaming, but it's extremely annoying when not showing the file extension.

Example, if I have a file called report.2005.doc and showing extensions is on, when I press F2 "report.2005" is highlighted.

However, if showing extensions is off only "report" gets highlighted.

Could there be an option to only highlight to the last . when the showing of extensions is turned on?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i think i'll add a registry tweak for what gets selected so both camps will be satisfied!
Starsurfer
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starsurfer »

the F2 selecting just the base filename is a great feature been very helpful
for me..- I usually just rename the base in most cases.
small things can make a heck of a difference.. if your'e using/doing a particular thing often.
Is it difficult to code it that a second pressing F2 extends the selection to highlight the complete filename?
yes that's a nice suggestion.. very convenient.

-
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Starsurfer wrote:
yes that's a nice suggestion.. very convenient.
I second that.
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

Whitman wrote:[...]Could there be an option to only highlight to the last . when the showing of extensions is turned on?
I think X² should always highlight the full base name, regardless whether extensions are displayed or not. The feature is meant to do this by design I guess, but the current implementation doesn't take into account the hiding of the extension mode of Windows, so it treats the last visible dot as being the one in front of the extension (erroneously in my view)

So Nikos, can you put this on the list to be fixed in a next release (carefully avoided the word 'the' in front of release ;) )

And I second the motion to put in an option to be able to control the behaviour of selecting only basename or fullname to the users liking (always a good thing to have your options open  :) )
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
JamieG

"Eating" the <F2> selection & selecting

Post by JamieG »

BRX's suggestions are top-flight.

I'd like to echo them and offer an idea about how one of them might be implemented (if Nikos is of a mind to do so) without introducing new checkboxes & registry whatzits).

1.  Selecting the entire filename with <F2><F2>

Echoing BRX's caveat about whether it's possible, hitting <F2> twice would be a nifty way of selecting the entire filename.

The hands are positioned in the right place... tapping the key twice is a lot easier than locating the <shift> and <end> keys, or dealing with the dialog box that <ctrl><F2> brings up (that also requires finding a second key).  danielrod wrote that he always selects the complete filename, so what does he think about this idea?

There's no need for a registry option and there's no interface conflict.  

2.  "Eating the selection"

I often (vastly often) rename files the way BRX mentions, changing sequence numbers or appending a tag to the the base name.  So it's bothersome to have to hit <left> then <right> to turn the selection off while staying in the same place.

The <up> and <down> arrows could be used to get the effect that BRX, I, and maybe others would like (i.e. cancelling the selection without moving the cursor).  Again, there wouldn't be any conflict with the existing interface.

As Starsurfer notes, small things really make a difference when one does repetitive operations.  I'm glad this particular subject has been raised again.  Best to all, J.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thing is that edit box for rename isn't owned by me so custom accelerators like  that aren't straightforward -- of course they aren't impossible either
danielrod

Post by danielrod »

Yes, both suggestions are right on the dot.  I've been renaming a ton of music files lately, and the "eat the selection" with the down arrow key (or up arrow) would be god sent.

Daniel