Create folders based on album titles of mp3 files

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

earlpiggot

Create folders based on album titles of mp3 files

Post by earlpiggot »

A happy new year to all of you!

I have a folder that contains hundreds of mp3 files; their album title information is encoded in their tags. I would like to create a separate folder for each album -named after it- and move the subsequent mp3 files in them, for all files and albums.

Is there a quick way to do so with xplorer2?

If not, are you aware of any other third party -preferably free- application which does this?

thank you in advance
mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mimeryme »

I would use foobar2000's move/rename feature for that.

http://www.foobar2000.com/
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I think MP3BookHelper (freeware) does that; but not sure and how. Please share if you do find out!

Music Library (shareware) definitely does that.

BTW the keyword to look for is "MP3 organizer".
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Confirmed: MP3 Book Helper can do this. (Download it from sourceforge.net)

Here is the step-by-step method, tailored  for x2 PRO:

1. Start MBH and open the Move (second) tab.

2. Load all your MP3 files in the pane. The easiest method is to drag-n-drop them from x2.

>> Using x2, you can search all your MP3 files from across your PC (and even network neighborhood). Then D&D them into MBH. MBH displays all files in a flat list, exactly like a scrap pane.

3. Now select all the files you want to move (you can use the mouse as well as the Spacebar, CTRL and SHFT keys.)

Now press Spacebar. Make sure that a tick appears in the checkboxes located at the left-most column. Only these files will be processed!.
(In other words, the blue highlight on a file does NOT indicate the "selected" state; A tick in the checkbox does.)

(The spacebar toggles the selection.)

4 For now, we will assume that you are not interested in renaming the files
   (only in sorting them into different folders based on their specific MP3 tags). So leave alone the Rename Files (first) checkbox.

5. In the Folders group, select the Restructure radio button.
>> The Base location is the root where all your folders will be moved (and new folders will be created). Click on the browse [...] button and select your base folder.

>> The folder mask field lets you define the template for naming of your new folders. Since you want to name the folders after the album tag from the MP3 info,  right-click inside the combo and select the menu option Insert Variable | Tags | <album>.

(try the other itrems in the context menu-- It contains some very interesting options; including a help window! )

>> Select the Move support files and Keep empty folders checkboxes.

6. Click on the "Preview" button. The display inserts additional lines to show "before and after" names.
Adjust the template as required and click the button again to see the new results..
Check the "path" column. This is important: You will see how the files will be moved.

7. If you like the results, click on the "Rename/Move" button.
>> You can undo the results by pressing CTRL+Bksp.

Help is available just like x2:
1. Hover the mouse on any control to see extended tooltips.
2. Press F1 to see context-sensitive help.

Unfortunately, the help file is not very detailed. Neither does its description  match the GUI exactly.

HTH!
earlpiggot

Post by earlpiggot »

Thank you so much! MBH did the trick!

Let me grab the opportunity to ask something completely irrelevant, which I have not been able to find an answer to (the mods may delete this, if they think it's unacceptable):

Are you aware of any application that allows for "bulk" entry of freedb information for disks that are missing from the freedb database. I have around 150 audio CDs whose information is missing from freedb, and I would like to submit it, but I don't have the time to input track-by-track the information. I already have it in text files, one line per track, so an application that would alow me to enter the whole disk information in one step is what I need.

You may answer by PM if this thread is not accepted to grow this way
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

:shrug:

Better try the Freedb forum, as I am sure many users must be facing this issue...
earlpiggot

Post by earlpiggot »

I had already done that. Anyway, I was just about to edit my previous message and delete the freedb part... thx.