folder sort question

Support for xplorer² free lite version

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

random

folder sort question

Post by random »

Is there a way to have folders listed behind files in detail view arranged by date (descending) when I have the setting 'Folders sorted' set to separately? Right now in that config the folders display at the top and I have to scroll through or hide them to get to the most recent files.

Sorting the folders separately at the bottom is the way Windows Explorer does it and it's the view I've gotten used to.

Thanks for any info.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Not that I am aware of.

This is by design: It was the consensus of early users over a year ago to always display folders at the top of the list when sorted separately.
But nikos has included a "mixed mode" for folks like me (& perhaps you) who usually want to see the most recent items at the top of the list, yet want to have folders always grouped at the top when sorting by name.  

Try using mixed mode for a while and see if you agree.

I like that I can quickly see recently modified folders as well as files at the top of the list when sorting by modified date (decreasing). :)
random

Post by random »

Thanks. I'll give mixed mode a try.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

also there's this <alt+J> shortcut that toggles folders' visibility on/off (View menu)
random

Post by random »

Yes, thanks, <alt+J> is what I have been using. I usually have the view set at details by date descending so when I flick to a folder I see the latest files (work) there. More often than not though I'll move to another folder, forget I've filtered subfolders, and flounder until I remember.

Nice would be an option/reg setting that would select files or folders first views.

Anyway, thanks for responding and for the program. Great file manager.
pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sort by Date (Reverse) With Folders at Bottom

Post by pj »

Although I realize this is an old topic, I'd like to echo the request to have an option for reverse date sort moving folders to the bottom of the list.  My typical work mode in Explorer is to have folders sorted by newest date at top, so I can reach the most recent file I've been working on (and usually the one I need) first.  

In mixed mode, folder dates are updated whenever a file inside the folder is updated or added, so for the most part it's modified date isn't relevant to my searching.

Anyway, I also wanted to say I'm very impressed with your program, even the limited functionality of the lite version.  I'm seriously considering adding it to my very short list of software I've actually spent money on!

Sincerely,
pj
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

a quick workaround would be to press <shift+letter> which will jump to the first file with extension that starts with letter so you can skip your folders quicly; of course you'll have to know the name of the extension of the first file

if you are seriously thinking of upgrading to pro you'll like the new grouping feature in 1.5 which apart everything else has keyboard shortcuts to "jump to next group" <Ctrl+Alt+DownArrow>