moral dilemma

Discussion & Support for xplorer² professional

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

jazzcat

moral dilemma

Post by jazzcat »

firstly i would like to say xplorer2 is an absolutely brilliant product, it is probably the best 20 or so euros i have ever spent on software. it is the first program i put on any machine i use, and i can't imagine life without it. congratulations to the author on a brilliant piece of software.

however there has always been one slight annoyance for me in my situation at work. i work for a security company as a malware analyst, and use x2 on all the machines i work on. on the 'dirty' machines i have admin access so altho i reimage frequently, i can install x2 no problem and don't much mind pasting the key in every time. however on our clean network, i do not have admin access, just user access, plus the machine is reimaged *every* day, so the domain admin was not happy to keep installing x2 for me all the time.

so one day when i was bored and no new malware was comin in, i decided to have a wee look into the x2 binary, and after a bit of reverse engineering i was able to patch the binary to completely remove the 'licensing subsystem' such that it now runs as just a plain user with no need for a key. this is mighty handy! but it has left me wondering, is this bad? since i own a license, and would never dream of distributing any copies, is what i have done wrong? from both a moral or legal standpoint?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Yes, and Yes.
But as with most things legal, there is arbitration -- you should take it up with the developer. i.e.: send PM and discuss with nikos whether he will grant a special case situation.
For the moral isue, take it up with a "higher authority".
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i guess that merely by admitting this publicly you are a good egg :)
nowadays anybody can get a crack or whatever to avoid paying for most programs. I cannot say for sure if yours is one of the sins that count against you in the purgatory (if any) but having bought the licence you have a good excuse :)

what should come across to people is that not all companies that trade software on the net are like microsoft. It's different stealing from m$ and different stealing from zabkat. xplorer2 is just me. If i get out of business then the internet ecosystem is a little bit poorer. I guess there are environmental friendliness arguments you can put forward here.
jazzcat

Post by jazzcat »

It's different stealing from m$ and different stealing from zabkat. xplorer2 is just me. If i get out of business then the internet ecosystem is a little bit poorer
oh i couldn't agree more and reiterate that i would never dream of distributing anything that helped anyone to steal from you!

this was born out of some spare time, an interest in reverse engineering, and a slightly non-standard setup at work which caused the annoyance of not having x2 on my clean machine

i sincerely believe that this product should sell well enough for you to earn an exclusive living from it - it is such a superior class piece of software! just out of interest, are you making enough from this alone to live on? (and devote all your working time to it?)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i guess in a different country i would have stopped my day job but in london decent houses cost £500K+ so x2 is just for beer money ;)
WimdeLange
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WimdeLange »

Unbelievable, that you can put out such a nice product while you have a day job! And have the time to react to this forum too?
Groetjes,
  Wim de Lange
Gandolf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gandolf »

Perhaps it's the Greek food and wine that give him the stamina!