Selecting the tree pane with its top-bar

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

If a user clicks on any branch of the tree, the active pane displays that item and focus shifts to that pane.

The user is unable to remain within the tree pane and navigate further with arrow keys: he will have to use the CTRL+Tab shortcut to come to the tree pane.

Instead, we could use the top bar of the tree pane to select the tree pane, and navigate there without changing the dual panes.

Also, by pressing a control-key (SHIFT/CTRL etc) simultaneously, it should be possible to prevent the active pane from changing over to the "current" item in the tree pane. Then the user will not have to worry about "pit stops" during his tree-navigation. We can even extend this concept by using a "togglable" key (scroll-lock?) which does not require the user to keep a finger on the extra key while he navigates ("hands-free tree navigation") .
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

>If a user clicks on any branch of the tree, the active pane displays that item and focus shifts to that pane

not necessarily; there's a checkbox controlling that in View | Options | Usability

for the autoactivation stuff, i had already warned you about false alarms, no? You can just make the autocd delay a bit longer using the msTreeAutoCDDelay registry value mentioned in the docs
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

for the autoactivation stuff, i had already warned you about false alarms, no? You can just make the autocd delay a bit longer using the msTreeAutoCDDelay registry value mentioned in the docs
Let me re-state the end-purpose of this method: the user wants to inspect the tree without disturbing the folder panes. Once he is through, he wants to resume his work in the panes.

If the proposed solution is implemented, the user need not worry about his navigation timing at all. He can pause as much as he likes to inspect the tree. There is no minimum speed below which he will stall.

There is a disctinct advantage here.

Selection by clicking top-bar
2x is designed for both types of users:"mouse-oriented" and "keyboard-oriented". For reaching the tree, keyboard-based method already exists. The proposed "click on the top-bar" method is an equivalent for the "mouse-oriented" users.

Selecting a folder pane by clicking its top-bar is very similar to this. There also, we do not click on an item inside the pane (of course, mainly not to disturb the selection there).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

with the mouse you can click "nowhere" (e.g. on the far left of icons) and the focus will go to the tree; you can use the scroll bars to go up/down without affecting the views etc
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Something that I didn't know! I will add this to the help files (along with the additional functions you've introduced in the latest versions) :thumbup:

That, however, addresses just one of the two suggestions ("selecting tree pane with mouse") .

How about the second suggestion: defeating the activation by pressing a key simultaneously (or with a "togglable" key) ?
If the proposed solution is implemented, the user need not worry about his navigation timing at all. He can pause as much as he likes to inspect the tree. There is no minimum speed below which he will stall.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you using the keyboard? That would be the day!

but then you can use [Ctrl+arrows] to scroll around without affecting the focus/selection

if there are commands available for every little details like this then there won't be any usable space left on the desktop, it's all going to be option toggle buttons!
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I did't want scroll-locking per se when I suggested the scroll-lock key: I simply thoght that this key will serve as a toggle key to prevent the folder pane from following the tree pane around like a faithful doggy.

I thought it will be a good idea if there is a key to tell the folder panes "STAY!! Now that's a good pane!" and do shopping in the tree pane on your own for a while.
Starsurfer
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starsurfer »

Hi.
The improvement in the folder selection behaviour was very
helpful. -It was something I always longed for in all the versions,
of 2x that I used. -seeing that every time I pressed |Enter|, the
focus jumped from the tree pane to the folder pane.
The new design, mode (very neatly)takes care of it and the underlying discomfort & protests.
Though , something on the keyboard to switch between the
two modes, would surely be (greatly appreciated)
Very helpful & a precious luxury.  

Thank You.

Starsurfer.           :wave:

seaclove@yahoo.com